So I'm Thinking About Making a Mead...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy13586

Reaction score
and I was wondering how long it usually takes to ferment. I'm going to be moving at the end of this month and figured I would make it once I get in to my new place, hoping that it would be ready by spring time.

thanks
jeremy

couple months primary, couple more to forever from there depends on if you want wicked sweet or dry as a cow bone thats been under the sun for a few years. Also additions such as fruit and spices will change timelines.

Personally I have 4 batches that I started in February that are gonna be bottled throughout the next couple weeks and aged that way, my roommate wants to use my carboys for more hoppy endeavours.

Hope this helps some.:ban:

Add the proper amounts of yeast nutrient and energizer will help it speed along. I put together a mead about a month and a half ago and while I haven't taken a gravity reading since the initial one (I'm being patient!), it's starting to clear.

Still, mead requires some aging to really get good, and since I plan to bottle this one still, I don't really care how long it sits in the carboy. Everything after it's done is just bulk aging!

The length of a mead fermentation can vary (nutrient levels, ph, temperature, yeast strain, etc), but you should be able to do it in 30 days. Then, rack to a secondary for it to age and clarify. I would age it in the carboy as long as possible, but you can bottle it as soon as it clarifies if you need the carboy. Some of my meads clarify quicker than others. A few months is probably typical.

thanks for the info, i was planning to have it ready by May for graduation and it sounds like its totally feasable.

Back