New hop grower chicagoland area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thyirishmen

Reaction score
Hey guys started growing hops in the Chicago suburbs. What type of diseases would I except in this climate? Any suggestions for this area? I have glacier goldings and chinook rhizomes ordered. Should I switch any?

Aw man those dumb guys eat it too. Hate those things. Any tips for that. I've had them eat all my green beans in the past.

I have set those bag traps, which really get a lot of the little buggers. I have head that there is a type of soap that you can spray on the plants that the beetles do not like but I have not tried that. i am not sure what approach I will take this year. Last summer the drought did a number on my hops so I did not have anything to harvest. Just an fyi it takes about 2 years before you are able to harvest any hops.

The beetles haven't been so bad for me the last couple years.

Powdery Mildew has been an ongoing challenge. Ants farming aphids also an issue for me.

A solution of neem oil and safer soap has done wonders, it kills off the aphids and keeps the mildew in check. Prior to burs spouting, I've used sevin in the years i had serious Japanese beetle issues, but that seems to kill off too many beneficial insects and then the aphids really take over.

A good spray down with water is good to keep the aphids at bay between neem applications. But beware the powdery mildew, it took a whole seasons worth of cascades from me last year and needs to be manages aggressively.

Also, regarding Chinook... i grow these too and have found them less susceptible to the a fore mention conditions that my cascades. Whether that's the location i have them in or the higher AAs, who knows.

Back