How to add sugar to cider...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewbeliever

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am going to make an apple, cranberry, raspberry cider and I'd like to up the gravity a bit. Because I don't want to water the cider down, I'd like to dissolve the sugar straight into the juice. I have heard it is not a good idea to boil the juice, but what about just heating it up enough to dissolve the sugar into it? Secondly, if I do this, should I add campden tabs to the must because I didn't boil the sugar? The juice is already pasteurized, but preservative-free...

You can dissolve a lot of sugar in a rather small amount of quite warm water or juice. I normally just pour my sugar into my juice slowly as I run my degassing whip. It mixes in quite well. They yeast will find it

roadymi said:
You can dissolve a lot of sugar in a rather small amount of quite warm water or juice. I normally just pour my sugar into my juice slowly as I run my degassing whip. It mixes in quite well. They yeast will find it

Yes, but do I need to add a campden tablet? I am not sure if the sugar has any wild yeasts in it or not... I know the juice doesn't because it is pasteurized.

Search my raspberry cider, it's made with cranberry raspberry cocktail and store bout apple juice, just search agents raspberry cider.
I used black tea and raspberry zinger tea in mine, so I dissolved the sugar into the strong tea I made

agent44 said:
Search my raspberry cider, it's made with cranberry raspberry cocktail and store bout apple juice, just search agents raspberry cider.
I used black tea and raspberry zinger tea in mine, so I dissolved the sugar into the strong tea I made

Thanks, but I am not looking for a recipe... I am just wondering if I should add a campden tablet to kill off any yeast in the sugar. Maybe I should ask a more specific question: if I add sugar to already pasteurized juice, do I need to use campden tablets or can I just go ahead and pitch the yeast?

I've never used campden if the juice is pasteurized, I would go ahead, if there is anything growing in the sugar which there probably isn't your yeast should over power it.

I use granulated sugar to up the gravity of my brew all the time. I've never used campden tablets and never had a problem.

Pathogens cannot survive in pure sugar/honey. You ever heard of spoiled sugar?

No, I suppose I have never heard of spoiled sugar. Thanks for the help ya'll. I honestly wasn't sure and I really didn't want to use campden tabs if I didn't have to. I also really didn't want to end up with a spoiled batch. SO, I'll just go ahead and add the sugar and not bother with the campden tabs. I wish you all lived in Portland, Oregon so I could give you a pint of cider (when its done) as a token of my appreciation :mug:

lol i would hope that they aren't selling us yeast and bacteria ridden sugar at the grocery store.

Back