wheat beer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeysiin

Reaction score
hey,

i'm getting ready to brew a wheat beer (5 gallon batch), and plan on putting it in a 6 gallon better bottle. i've got the standard 3 piece airlock, and my question is whether there will be enough headspace in the fermenter, or if i should use a blow off tube. if i need to use a blowoff tube, what's the best way to set one up for a better bottle.

thanks in advance for all the help.

You'll probably be ok. The only time I've even needed one is when I had real fruit in my beer.

I stuck my pvc hose into the stopper.

Use a blowoff tube! Wheats with hefe yeast can ferment very aggressively! I use a 6.5 gallon carboy for my hefes and all but 1 batch has actually pushed foam up into the blowoff tube. Use a large plastic tube with a tight fit into the neck of carboy -- sanitize the tube first - then put the other end of the tube into a pail full of water or sanitizer solution -- easy! Way easier than a mess clean-up...

I always use blow off tubes with my better bottles. Get a 2in (outside diameter) x 4-6ft long piece of tubing from lowes and shove it down in the neck. Then stick the other end in a bowl/bucket of water :)

If you don't have a big tube that will fit into the top of the carboy, you can use a (I think) 3/8'' tubing over the bottom piece of the 3-piece airlock and use that as a blow off. I have used a 6g better bottle for wheats, with this type of blow off and i worked fine.

Back