Is my imperial stout done fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongarm

Reaction score
OG 1.109
4weeks later SG 1.029

Used wyeast1728 attenuation 69-74%

Looks to me like it's finished out .26X109=1.02834

I usually know this since I buy kits and it tells me but this time I altered the recipe so I wasn't sure. Hope it's ready to rack since I need the bucket for a brew this weekend.

People usually don't advocate racking until the specific gravity is stable for at least three days.

It looks like the apparent attenuation is around 73.3% and the abv is around 10.5%, but that yeast can go a little higher.

I'd go by the gravity readings and not the numbers. Just my 2 cents.

I really like the 1728 by the way, I used it on a wee heavy and fermented at the very low end of the recommended temperature range. It gave a nice smoke flavor to the brew with out using any peated or smoked malts. It was kind of neat.

Take a gravity reading 3 days apart, just because wyeast lists its attenuation range of 63-74% doesn't mean it can't attenuate higher, there are many factors that contribute to attenuation.

There's almost no reason to rush an Imperial Stout. I would check the gravity a week from now, and if it's the same then feel free to bottle/bulk age in secondary.

You could just buy another bucket, gives you more reason to brew more often, brew on

Back