advice on when to pitch brett b for saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwmiscik

Reaction score
Ok, so I am wondering when I should pitch the brett. I have never used wyeast 3711 before but from what I have heard from other people is that it will bring my fg to about 1.003. If it does actually do that I am concerned that the brett will have nothing to eat when I pitch and therefore will not give the beer and character. So what I am wondering is if I should wait until the wyeast brings the beer down to around 1.020 or 1.015 and then crash cool it and rack to secondary and pitch the brett and then age until the brett is done working and the beer is around 1.001 and then bottle. Let me know what you guys think maybe someone with some experience can chime in and help me out here. Thanks guys and the recipe i came up with is below. :mug:

malt & fermentables
% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
74% 9 4 English Maris Otter info 34 4 ~
10% 1 4 American White Wheat info 39 2 ~
8% 1 0 Acidulated Malt info 33 2 ~
4% 0 8 Crystal 60L info 34 60 ~
4% 0 8 Glucose info 34 0 ~

Batch size: 5.0 gallons Original Gravity
1.064 / 15.7° Plato (1.057 to 1.067)
Final Gravity
1.012 / 3.1° Plato (1.010 to 1.013)
Color
9° SRM / 18° SRM
(Gold to Copper)
Mash Efficiency
75%
hops
use time oz variety form aa
boil 60 mins 1.25 Saaz info pellet 3.5
boil 10 mins 1.0 Saaz info pellet 3.5
boil 1 min 1.0 Saaz info pellet 3.5

Boil: 5.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes Bitterness
27.2 IBU / 4 HBU
ƒ: Rager
BU:GU

yeast
Wyeast French Saison (3711)
Brettanomyces Bruxellensis

Alcohol
6.9% ABV / 5% ABW
Calories
209 per 12 oz.

I'm planning on doing the same thing, but adding some malto so the there is something for the brett to eat, because 3711 will leave nothing.

Brett doesn't need a lot of gravity to do its thing, Lacto/Pedio are the ones that really need fermentables to work. You could certainly add some malto-dextrin, or just mash a bit higher. It all depends on how much funk you want.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I am planning on mashing at 156. Do you think this will be enough food for the brett and I am going for a farely pronounced brett presence.

I was listening to an old Jamil Show on saisons, he basically said mash between 143 and 150 IIRC. reason being saisons are supposed to be super dry and you want as much of the sugar being converted to be fermentable to get it down to below 1.010

Right I see where you are coming from but in that episode jamil wasnt planning on pitching brettanomyces. He was mashing low so the saccromyces could handle the job and dry out the beer. I mashed high to create long chain sugars that the saccromyces cannot handle but the brettanomyces can that way (in theory) there will be food left over for the brettanomyces and give the beer a nice brett presences to complement the saison. Anyway, I brewed this this weekend and pitched at 68 and have been increasing the temperature 2 degrees every day to help the yeasties along. once I hit 80 degrees and the signs of fermentation stop I am going to take a gravity reading and depending on what that is I will rack to secondary and possibly add some malto dextrine along with the brettanomyces and let it age until it is at 1.001 and then I will bottle. Ill update back with results.

I brewed this this weekend and pitched at 68 and have been increasing the temperature 2 degrees every day to help the yeasties along. once I hit 80 degrees and the signs of fermentation stop I am going to take a gravity reading and depending on what that is I will rack to secondary and possibly add some malto dextrine along with the brettanomyces and let it age until it is at 1.001 and then I will bottle. Ill update back with results.

Just curious about how this brew turned out? Any updates for us?

Back