Umm, did I buy the right one; Oxygen tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsellout

Reaction score
So I went to my local hardware store looking for the red disposable oxygen tanks to go with my aeration system from Williams brewing. They didn't have them and referred me to the local welding supply. I went there and asked them for an oxygen tank, the smallest one they carried. I was expecting the disposable red cannister but instead I get a nice fat green canister that stands about a foot and a half tall which I payed 80 bucks for. The guys says I own the cannister and refills are 12 bucks. I am hoping this is the right stuff and that it will fit the regulator that comes with the aeration system. The guy at the welders supply said there was only one oxygen fitting and that any oxygen regulator will fit.
So did I make a mistake or should I be ok? Man I kind of feel like an idiot asking these kinds of questions:fro:

Dan

You should be fine.

Willsellout said:
So I went to my local hardware store looking for the red disposable oxygen tanks to go with my aeration system from Williams brewing. They didn't have them and referred me to the local welding supply. I went there and asked them for an oxygen tank, the smallest one they carried. I was expecting the disposable red cannister but instead I get a nice fat green canister that stands about a foot and a half tall which I payed 80 bucks for. The guys says I own the cannister and refills are 12 bucks. I am hoping this is the right stuff and that it will fit the regulator that comes with the aeration system. The guy at the welders supply said there was only one oxygen fitting and that any oxygen regulator will fit.
So did I make a mistake or should I be ok? Man I kind of feel like an idiot asking these kinds of questions:fro:

Dan

It might work, but that's not what I use. All the hardware stores in my area carry little, disposable oxygen tanks that run about $8. They usually keep them in the same area as the little propane tanks you use to sweat pipe.

You got overkill my friend.
Disposables are $10-12.

Less gas to be sure, but man.
You'll need to brew alot to make that $80 go away.

olllllo said:
You got overkill my friend.
Disposables are $10-12.

Less gas to be sure, but man.
You'll need to brew alot to make that $80 go away.

I'm not so worried about cost as long as I have the right stuff. The problem I run into is that I'm in Oregon and the only hardware supply within an hours drive doesn't carry them and I'm not even sure anywhere in the surrounding towns would either (they are all owned by the same company). SO I am kind of stuck and the welder supply place said they didn't carry disposables so I am a product of my environment :D.
I figured it was overkill as soon as he brought it out but the dumb man side of me didn't want to tell him it was too big for my purposes:D. Well as long as it fits the regulator that comes with the aeration kit I will be happy.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Dan

Willsellout said:
I'm not so worried about cost as long as I have the right stuff. The problem I run into is that I'm in Oregon and the only hardware supply within an hours drive doesn't carry them and I'm not even sure anywhere in the surrounding towns would either (they are all owned by the same company). SO I am kind of stuck and the welder supply place said they didn't carry disposables so I am a product of my environment :D.
I figured it was overkill as soon as he brought it out but the dumb man side of me didn't want to tell him it was too big for my purposes:D. Well as long as it fits the regulator that comes with the aeration kit I will be happy.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Dan

Right on.

Read this post.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=233413&postcount=7

Willsellout said:
Well as long as it fits the regulator that comes with the aeration kit I will be happy.
Dan

And that my friend is the $80 question ;)

desertBrew said:
And that my friend is the $80 question ;)

That is it! Althought the welder supply store said they would take it back if it didn't and find something that fit it, which is cool.

If they'll let you return it, I would. Just too bulky for what you need. The disposable bottles will last 15-20 batches, so your payback is going to be what, five years, ten years, before you've spent $80 on disposable bottles (I don't know how often you brew...)

As noted, look with the other welding supplies in any big box store - although I have to believe that even the mom + pop stores carry them as well. Maybe you just talked to someone who didn't know what they were talking about (wouldn't be the first time)...

dont forget that the bottle will most likely expire in 5 years, so you'll have to send it out to get re-certed ;)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the regulator that you got with your oxygenation system will not fit the tank valve on the oxygen cylinder that you bought. That regulator will only fit on the disposable "Bernzomatic" type O2 tanks.

If you want to use the tank you bought, you will have to buy an oxygen regulator from them as well. That regulator should cost about $50. It will have two gauges on it and will look similar to this. You will have to remove the outlet fitting on the regulator and replace it with a 1/4" male npt X barb fitting to use with your O2 system.

or25.jpg

Here is a photo of one of my oxygen tanks from my brazing rig. For comparison, here is a couple of photos of the disposable tank and regulator. As you can see, the fitting is a different size.

The regulator for the disposable tank has a "prong", for lack of a better term, that inserts into the tank fitting as you screw it down. This prong opens the internal valve in a disposable O2 tank to allow O2 to flow. When you unscrew the regulator you will hear a pop as the internal tank valve seats again.

DSC02354.jpg

DSC02355.jpg

DSC02356.jpg

My apologies for the big post, I just wanted to be thorough. I know that the fittings on the two tanks look similar, but trust me, the regulator for the disposable tanks does not fit, I tried.

Ok thanks for that, I appreciate it. I called around to a couple other stores within an hour or so and found that my local store does indeed carry disposable oxygen tanks. It's funny I had to call their sister store to find out what my local store carried.:drunk: Oh well, they said the bottles were green though, not red. Same thing or different?

Dan

johnsma22 said:
My apologies for the big post, I just wanted to be thorough. I know that the fittings on the two tanks look similar, but trust me, the regulator for the disposable tanks does not fit, I tried.

Hmmm.... I would have thought that the big gauged regulator would not work on the litte red tanks (no prong to open the internal valve), but I would have expected things to work the other way. Sure, there is a prong on the little regulator that serves no purpose when attached to the big green tank, but it seems like gas should still be able to flow.

Are the threads different on the two tanks/regulators such that you can't screw the little regulator onto the big tank? Or... does that prong on the little regulator actually get blocked by something on the big tank?

-walker

As long as it's a bottle with left hand threads, red or green is no matter. You probably ended up with a tank similar to what I use only I didn't pay a dime for mine and it already came with a medical regulator on it. I wouldn't buy one new, not for $80. It's probably a good place to get your Co2 fills though.

There is nothing in the valve on the big tank that interferes with the prong, but the threads on the big tank valve are smaller and more course than that of the disposable tank.

Willsellout said:
Ok thanks for that, I appreciate it. I called around to a couple other stores within an hour or so and found that my local store does indeed carry disposable oxygen tanks. It's funny I had to call their sister store to find out what my local store carried.:drunk: Oh well, they said the bottles were green though, not red. Same thing or different?

Dan

If it is a green tank then it is not a disposable "Bernzomatic" oxygen tank. It could be made by another manufacturer though. The Coleman disposable propane tanks are green. Bernzomatic tank colors are as follows: Red= oxygen, Blue= propane and Yellow= MAPP gas. Some other manufacturers use Red for their propane tanks. As stated above, make sure that it is in fact oxygen, and has left hand threads for your regulator. You should bring your regulator with you to make sure.

johnsma22 said:
There is nothing in the valve on the big tank that interferes with the prong, but the threads on the big tank valve are smaller and more course than that of the disposable tank.

Gotcha. Thanks... I almost bought a used dual-gauged regulator off e-bay with the intent of using it with my disposable tank, and I'm now glad that I didn't.

-walker

OK so I just got back from returning the oxygen tank and getting a disposable "Master Mechanic" green oxygen cylinder with 1.4 oz of o2 and left hand threads. It was 11 bucks, which is a lot better than 80, thanks guys!

Dan

Thanks a lot Rob, it is always a pleasure when I can help out a fellow homebrewer. That's why we are here. I'm glad everything worked out for you Dan. Happy oxygenating!!!

johnsma22 said:
Thanks a lot Rob, it is always a pleasure when I can help out a fellow homebrewer. That's why we are here. I'm glad everything worked out for you Dan. Happy oxygenating!!!

Yeah thanks so much! Since you saved me money I was able to donate some cash to the forum to become a supporting member:rockin: . So they can thank you too!

Dan

I in fact have the large green tank for an oxygen / propane torch i used for silver and gold soldering...

I have the tank.. large... I have the regulator.. and flowback arrestor..? What kit and where do I get to use this settup for my o2? Or should I bag it and just buy the small canister...?

Thanks..

If you have the regulator then you are good to go. The large O2 tank should last you for a long time. You will need to remove the outlet fitting on the regulator and replace it with 1/4" NPT x 1/8" barb fitting. Then you will need a length of 1/8" ID vinyl tubing, around 4-5 feet should do, and I recommend going with this aeration wand from William's Brewing.

skifast1 said:
Shame...missed your opportunity to open your very own oxygen bar :D

Yeah, I jumped in too late to tell you to get a mask and hose. It'll come in handy on those rough Monday mornings. :D

I see one of these "oxygen bars" everytime I'm sitting in the airport terminal in Vegas waiting to leave. I think I'll use one to detox in a couple weeks when I"m coming home! Also thanks for the info, I was in the same exact predicament today 5 years later than Willsellout was. I was considering buying a smaller tank o2 tank and the $50 guage but if I can get 10 batches out of that benzomatic that will do for now till I have to start chucking canisters every few weeks.

Can anyone point me to a thread that talks about how to measure or know how long to aerate with these benzo tanks in a volume of wort?

Thanks!

Back