Rye IPA this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbaesl

Reaction score
Hey guys! So this Sunday I am going to brew up my first batch of Denny Conn's Rye IPA, and I am quite excited. I have made a couple of other Rye beers before, and I really like the dry, crisp and slightly spicy flavor the rye added. So anyway, I had a quick question which I have my own answer to, but wanted to hear other opinions.

I am following the recipe from TastyBrew.com | Forum | Denny's Rye IPA - Recipe here The total estimated IBU is 75.1, the AAU of the Columbus that I have, vs what is said on the recipe (11.1 vs 17.8) gives me an estimated IBU of 54.7. I want to follow the recipe fairly closely, so I am planning on increasing the 60 min Columbus to 1.4 oz to give me an estimated IBU of 67.5. (I tend to prefer a beer that isn't too bitter, so I thought i'd back off just a hair). I assume that adding another 0.4 oz isn't going to have a perceptable flavor difference, but just get the bitterness closer to what the recipe recommends. I was just wondering what you guys think. Also, I know a lot of people have tried this recipe, I'd be curious as to your thoughts?

Thanks, Mark

Currently in the fermenter: Moose Drool Clone
Bottled: AHBS Pumpkin Ale, Hazed and Infused Clone, Hennepin Clone, Coriander-Orange Peel American Ale, Raspberry Ale

You maaaaay notice a slight difference, but it isn't going to be so harsh that you won't want to drink it. Do it! THEN purchase the same ingredients again and brew it with less hops if you think the first batch was too hoppy.

Personally, I'd go for the 1.4 oz.

I have done this recipe. It is REALLY good!

I didn't find it to be overly hoppy or unbalanced in hoppiness. It is a big beer.

One piece of advise: RICE HULLS.

and/or protein temp rest!

The rye and wheat made for a really sticky lautering situation for me.

Good luck, you will enjoy it! :mug:

A+ on this recipe I have done it before and it was wonderful. Next weekend I am doing his imperial Bourbon vanilla porter.

Yeah, bump the hops. This is on my to do list as my next brew. I'll be attempting to use harvestaed Rogue Pacman yeast for it, which I'll be doing in the next few days. Good luck to you!

You want to get the IBU's right not the hop amounts. If the recipe calls for a certain IBU and your hops are higher then what is stated in the recipe knock it down so you get the proper IBU that the beer calls for.

Back