Honey Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rokie

Reaction score
My Honey Wheat in the primary has leveled off with a S.G. @ 1.006 and a bubble every now and then without regularity. I do not have a secondary so I am trying to decide if I should bottle or let it set in the primary. For how long? any advice?

Havn’t tasted it yet but man it smells good!

One rule of thumb is that if the gravity does not drop for 3 consecutive days you're good to bottle. You could let it sit for a little longer in the primary, but a wheat generally won't clear much, anyways.

Is there a time limit that it can stay in the primary? How long to condition in the bottle?

It's an oft discussed topic around here...you can turn up a lot in a search. Basically, at some point the yeast will start to cannabilize themselves (autolysis) resulting in off-flavors. Most people seem to think that 2-3 weeks in the primary is safe...I don't of anybody exceeding that.

Homebrew usually carbonates in 2-3 weeks.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Most people seem to think that 2-3 weeks in the primary is safe...I don't of anybody exceeding that.

When I was in the LHBS this weekend picking up my wine kit, there were some younger guys in there talking about their last batch. They left it in the primary (bucket) for 6 months (I assume out of laziness or something.)

Me, SWMBO, and the guys working there asked how it tasted after 6 months in the primary, but those guys looked at us like we had extra eyeballs and said they dumped it without sampling it and even threw the bucket away. :)

Bummer, because I was really hoping to hear the results of a tasting.

I remember that, I think he said it was okay after a couple months, kinda laying the debate to rest. I had a Lager that took almost 8 weeks in primary and it's <burp> delicious.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Chairman! What's shakin' in Calgary today?
Not much man, I'm home from work now so I don't have nearly enough time to hang around with you boozers! SWMBO has decided to watch our 1year old nephew while aunti goes back to work, that coupled with our own 4yr girl and 5 month boy-o doesn't leave too much time for posting. Although, I get to drink HB now instead of just wishing I was:drunk:

Gee I don’t want to do that long. I think the best place to store beer is behind my tongue and that is only for a short while. I was just interested in how long I can wait to be sure the fermenting over before I screw somthing up. I go out of town on Sunday I will bottle on Saturday.

Back