Rubber stopper problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollow4

Reaction score
Ok i was putting a rubber stopper on my carboy and im not sure how, but it fell into the beer. It was sanitized, but the question is, will the rubber impart a terrible flavor on my beer or should i transfer the new beer into a just emptied carboy and fish out the stopper??

im really at a loss. Guess i drank too much

You are not the first to have done this. Don't worry about the stopper -- it won't impart any off flavours unless you typically soak it in bleach-water or something.

cool. Thanks. There needs to be a section on this site with that answers all these common questions, not just the stickies.

Cheers

We have one -- it's called the wiki. But it takes community effort to get everything on it, so if you feel strongly please help out! :mug:

I was having a different kind of rubber stopper problem this time around.

When I sanitized it in StarSan, it became very slippery and would not stay put in the carboy neck. It would keep sliding up after I pushed it down. I wrapped it in plastic wrap and kept it down with rubberbands.

Pretty annoying, next time I'll just get a carboy cap.

Brew Dude said:
I was having a different kind of rubber stopper problem this time around.

When I sanitized it in StarSan, it became very slippery and would not stay put in the carboy neck. It would keep sliding up after I pushed it down. I wrapped it in plastic wrap and kept it down with rubberbands.

Pretty annoying, next time I'll just get a carboy cap.

I've had this same thing happen after using StarSan. All you have to do is dry the stopper and the inside the lip of the carboy. I suppose that you could introduce some nasties into the carboy with an infected paper towel, but the risk is minimal, and you'll have the krausen going soon enough. I haven't noticed any infections in my beers when doing this.

As a fellow sufferer of Star-San lube and gravity I decided not to get bit again. When I sanitize my stoppers I also sanitize a length of wire hanger and hang the stoppers up with a plastic baggie rubberbanded around them to dry.

I'm thinking of switching to paper towels as its just plain easier and the liklihood of contamination is minimal, but it made me feel better to overcomplicate a solution.

Gordie

If you have some 70% ethanol handy, you can sanitize or rinse your rubber stopper in that and it won't slide out of the mouth of the carboy.

i think what ill do from now on is make sure i have the air lock in the stopper before i push it in.

or i may just get some everclear and clean the stopper in everclear instead of star-san

Hey Hollow,
Same thing happened to me 3 days ago. Luckly I was just about to transfer to secondary. The bag trick to remove the stopper worked perfect. I am now thinking of getting the orange caps for the carboys.

Back