Draft Magazine: Anyone read it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was hooked up with a free subscription for filling out a survey or something like that. I've only gotten one issue so far. Decent bathroom material, but not something that I think I'd pay for.

the_bird said:
I was hooked up with a free subscription for filling out a survey or something like that. I've only gotten one issue so far. Decent bathroom material, but not something that I think I'd pay for.

I'm with bird. I much prefer my BYO and Zymurgy, but thats because DRAFT isn't really a homebrew magazine. It's more of a commercial beer scene kind of magazine... most of the time I've seen or had all the commercial beers they advertise or discuss, but its good bathroom material reading their impressions I suppose... The latest one concentrated on beer and food pairings for example, which is good information, but information a lot of people at our 'EAC' level already have figured out...

Anyway, good if you can get it for free or if the SWMBO picks it up for you on her trip to the grocery store (I've seen it at GIANT Markets here in PA), but not something I would subscribe to I don't think. This is based on the 2 issues I've received....

the_bird said:

So that's where that came from:drunk: . I've been trying to figure out why I got it last month. It was OK but really aimed more at consumption rather than production, but like bird said, good reading material for the library.

I saw one of the first issues and I was impressed more by the layout. It seemed like they had some bank in that regard. They also are officed in the Biltmore area here in PHX (read spendy).

I know one of their employees is also the Sheraton CBO.

I've just never ran across any of the editors or writers (or readers) although I must admit I'm better at beer networking across the country and not in my own back yard.

It's been a while since I looked at the rag (they must not be a monthly pub). I remember it LOOKING pretty. But, I'm not as interested in the commercial stuff as I am in the homebrew, which is the main reason I wouldn't pay money for it.

I didn't like Draft the couple times I read it. I'm finding that the only 2 beer mags I like are Zymurgy and Beeradvocate...

I get it, and I'm not too into it. It seems like they want to be GQ with a twist of snobby alcohol mixed in. Not for me.

OTOH, I recently subscribed to Beer magazine and if you like Maxim/Stuff/etc, you'll really like this one. I've gotten two issues so far and they are both the bomb. Bad website though.

I also get a free subscription to Draft. It's not Zymurgy or BYO, but it's not a bad publication. I probably wouldn't pay for a subscription to it though.

It doesn't focus solely on beer. There are items on wine, electronics gadgets, food, cocktails and lots of other items. I'd say in any given issue 30-60% of the content is either only slight beer related or has nothing to do with beer at all.

olllllo, you were at the GABF. Didn't you sign up for the free subscription? It's a decent magazine. As a homebrewer there isn't much to be desired but has a few interesting articles in it. Worth the free subscription :D

dblvsn said:
olllllo, you were at the GABF. Didn't you sign up for the free subscription? It's a decent magazine. As a homebrewer there isn't much to be desired but has a few interesting articles in it. Worth the free subscription :D

I did, but my mail is worse than Evan!s. I haven't gotten an issue.

I still don't have the current BYO.

Your subscription may be coming yet. I just got my first issue a couple weeks ago. May just be taking them awhile to process all of the requests. My buddy who was at the brewfest has already gotten more issues than me.

Back