whoops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincrunk

Reaction score
so my wort chiller sprung a leak and i didnt notice until it was to late my 8 gal brew pot is pretty much full. should i pitch anyways?

It's going to be pretty watered down if you do. If it were me, I'd boil it down to the correct volume. It'll throw your IBUs off, but I think I'd prefer that to a brew that's ~60% of the intended OG.

Any sugar or honey on hand? I've 'saved' a few batches of low OG beer with a last minute simple sugar addition.

Up to you. Low abv beer isn't always a bad thing, one of my best tasting dry irish stouts was a f'ed up partial mash at 3%.

A half pound of sugar will add back about 4 points.

What was the intended OG for the recipe and expected volume into the fermentor? Also, what would you estimate the volume of wort was once you discovered the mishap? With this info we can make an informed decision as to your next step.

If you go the route of an addition, you may prefer DME. Sugar is fully fermentable, but will thin the body of the beer while boosting OG.

Well I added more sugar and pitched my yeast. I saved the additional wort for future use. I guess time will tell what comes of this. Thanks for the help this is only my second batch.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Back