5-10gal wood barrels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebas83

Reaction score
Anyone have first hand experience using one for souring? I've heard stories about surface area, o2, etc. but I'm curious about first-hand accounts.

I have no first-hand experience (I know, not what you asked for) but, if it's a new barrel, apart from the increased surface area, O2 (acetic production), etc., I'd be worried about astringency from the tannins in the oak due to the prolonged contact that a sour sees. If it's a well used barrel then that may not be as much of an issue.

I've got two third (beer) filled oak spirit barrels aging now. At about two months there are no acetic notes, but the oak character is getting close to where I want it. It is a substantial brown, so it can take more spirit than most other sour beers. Planning to go onto fruit next, probably do at least one more fill of the barrels before I see if anyone else wants to run a beer through them.

I've got two third (beer) filled oak spirit barrels aging now. At about two months there are no acetic notes, but the oak character is getting close to where I want it. It is a substantial brown, so it can take more spirit than most other sour beers. Planning to go onto fruit next, probably do at least one more fill of the barrels before I see if anyone else wants to run a beer through them.

I noticed the same thing on my second pass through my 5 gallon blue corn barrel. The first pass sat for 2 weeks and was almost too much to handle with an 11% imperial oatmeal porter. How are you arranging what beers you are running through your barrels (i.e. high-alcohol dark beers to some lighter fare) or does it really matter?

Initially, I ran a RIS through a 5 gallon Balcones barrel for two months. It picked up a lot of whiskey, and hopefully that dies down over time. Pretty tasty as is though... Now I am running a Barleywine through it for a couple of months. Hopefully, those two beers take the whiskey out of the barrel so I can sour it up. I am curious tohear people's experiences with this size barrel as well. Pretty excited to get this barrel to the point I can sour beers in it.

I noticed the same thing on my second pass through my 5 gallon blue corn barrel. The first pass sat for 2 weeks and was almost too much to handle with an 11% imperial oatmeal porter. How are you arranging what beers you are running through your barrels (i.e. high-alcohol dark beers to some lighter fare) or does it really matter?

Rum Barrel:
1. Quad: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/09/rumble-barrel-belgian-strong-dark-recipe.html

2. Cinnamon/Vanilla Imperial Oatmeal Porter: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/10/rumble-barrel-cinnamonvanilla-imperial.html

3. Sour brown (evnetually onto raspberries): http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2013/01/double-barrel-sour-brown-recipe.html

Malt Whiskey Barrel:
1. Wheat Trippelbock: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/10/malt-whisky-barrel-wheat-trippelbock.html

2. Strong Rye Stout: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/11/malt-whisky-barrel-rye-stout-recipe.html

3. Sour Brown (eventually onto cherries): http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2013/01/double-barrel-sour-brown-recipe.html

Initially, I ran a RIS through a 5 gallon Balcones barrel for two months. It picked up a lot of whiskey, and hopefully that dies down over time. Pretty tasty as is though... Now I am running a Barleywine through it for a couple of months. Hopefully, those two beers take the whiskey out of the barrel so I can sour it up. I am curious tohear people's experiences with this size barrel as well. Pretty excited to get this barrel to the point I can sour beers in it.

I did something similar with a Balcones barrel. I ran an Imperial English Pale Ale through first for 3 weeks, then ran a Tripel through for 6 weeks. Whiskey character was nearly non existant in the Tripel. Next I racked a Brown in there that I pitched some Roselare in. That was 3 months ago, I will taste it this weekend to possibly pull out of the barrel onto some black berries. I'll let you know the results I get from my tasting.

I have a Balcones barrel (blue corn), first was an imperial oatmeal stout that was boozy and oaky after a week, then an imperial red that spend ~10 days in it. After that most of the whiskey character was gone, but there's still enough oak to warrant another clean beer or two. I'm currently letting it soak up some un-aged brandy in preparation of a brandy quad.

I am dense as hell. I just realized who you are. Ha! I have been following your site for a while and love what you are doing with those barrels. Are you going to cover part of the Balcones barrels with wax to cut down on oxygen permeability for your funk and sour additions?

I am dense as hell. I just realized who you are. Ha! I have been following your site for a while and love what you are doing with those barrels. Are you going to cover part of the Balcones barrels with wax to cut down on oxygen permeability for your funk and sour additions?

Cheers! I think at this stage I'll still get enough oak character before the evaporation/oxygen becomes an issue. If I keep using these barrels, I'll probably give them a partial coating (as Mr. Funk has written about) after this or the next fill.

Cheers! I think at this stage I'll still get enough oak character before the evaporation/oxygen becomes an issue. If I keep using these barrels, I'll probably give them a partial coating (as Mr. Funk has written about) after this or the next fill.

Wonderful. The Balcones barrel that I purchased was my first foray into oak. I was surprised how quick the beer took on oak and how fast it mellowed out. After two weeks in the barrel the imperial porter was undrinkable. However, after 4 months of bulk aging in glass, it has an ever so delicate oakiness with a whiskey bite at the end.

Back