Christmas is sweet! got my turkey fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
Finally got my turkey fryer setup + propane tank, and I built my 10 gallon MLT, so all that is left is a IC and I am going AG! The setup I got is pretty cool, it is 35 quart, aluminum (oh well!) and the pot has a drain spout installed on the bottom, so I can just hook up a hose and drain right into fermenter!

Question: does anybody know of any brewing uses for the other stuff that it comes with, such as long turkey fryer basket w/holes, or smaller fish frying basket w/holes, etc? I have heard the thermometer's were a little off, so I will test it with boiling water to see.

Also, I have never filled a propane tank before, and I got a brand new one, so what do I need to do to get it filled? Thanks for the help!

Jason

The obvious is to find a place to fill a propane tank. I'd also highly recommend calling them and seeing if they will purge a new tank. Some places won't, some will just swap your new tank with a used one, and all of them are probably going to charge you a fee for doing it. I'd try to get that done today or tommorow, because it seems to be a PITA to find anyone to help you with propane on a Sunday everywhere I've lived.

many Uhaul rental places will fill propane tanks, if you can't find a more local mom n' pop shop that does it.

the one I go to will purge also. Places might charge a couple extra dollars for the one-time purge.

FYI, when spring comes, get a second 'backup' 20lb tank. nothing sucks more than running out of gas 20 minutes into your boil.

malkore said:
...get a second 'backup' 20lb tank. nothing sucks more than running out of gas 20 minutes into your boil.
Or paying for a complete fill-up cause there's not enough to finish a brew session, but you know there's still $3.00 worth of gas in there.

Last time I had tanks filled, it cost .50 more than swapping out at Wal-Mart. I was surprised at that.

BierMuncher said:
Or paying for a complete fill-up cause there's not enough to finish a brew session, but you know there's still $3.00 worth of gas in there.

that could happen on an exchange, but when you have your tanks refilled, the fill is determined by weight, and the gallons actually added are measured like at a gasoline pump, and that is what you pay for. that's how it works where i get mine filled. if i bring in a half-full tank, it just gets topped off and i only pay for the amount that was added.

billtzk said:
that could happen on an exchange, but when you have your tanks refilled, the fill is determined by weight, and the gallons actually added are measured like at a gasoline pump, and that is what you pay for. that's how it works where i get mine filled. if i bring in a half-full tank, it just gets topped off and i only pay for the amount that was added.
Not at my locl ACE hardware. $14.50 to fill. Or to half-fill...or to 7/8ths fill...

Doesn't matter. Pay...take the tank out...they fill it till it's full.

We have one of each where I am. One charges a flat rate for a fill and the other charges by how much they put in. Guess where I go for my fills?

Movinfr8 said:
Last time I had tanks filled, it cost .50 more than swapping out at Wal-Mart. I was surprised at that.

did you get the same amount of gas?

I have been told that in a 20 lb swap tank, they guarentee that you get 17 lbs. Who gets the difference?

Back