"Keezer Soze" (yet another keezer build)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice build! I hope that one day I can put together something that looks half as good.

BTW, The Usual Suspects is a great movie. :rockin:

Very nice looking build! Keep the pics coming. Is that the ebay temp controller or a Love? :tank:

It's the e-bay model, and it works great so far. I think I might get another one to replace the single stage ranco I have on my fermentation fridge.

I clicked on the thread because of the keezer name. +1.

The copper rocks, btw. A tip in the future is to use regular white-out (the bottle kind) to stop the solder from going where you don't want it. After you solder you can wash it off. It makes cleanup a lot easier.

B

AMAZING build, Im jealous of this build.

Im still in the planning stages of mine, need a house before I can even think more about getting one.

*bump*

pics of Keezer Soze in it's permanent home with polish 3" copper?

-=Jason=-

*bump*

pics of Keezer Soze in it's permanent home with polish 3" copper?

-=Jason=-

Unfortunately Keezer Soze is currently in storage while I'm building an addition on my tiny house to make room for the upcoming addition to our family. I'll make sure to post some pics in a couple months when it gets moved back home. I'm also hoping that Santa will bring me some perlick faucets to install in time for the coming home party.

Congrats on the wee one. I have a son who just turned a year old and its the best thing that could have happened to me.

-=Jason=-

LOVE IT!!!

quick question - what is the distance between centers of the shanks (ie - spacing of taps - center to center)

LOVE IT!!!

quick question - what is the distance between centers of the shanks (ie - spacing of taps - center to center)

I wanted to be able to set glasses side by side on the drip tray under the faucets, so I measured the width of my most often used pint glasses and added a little for space between them. I think they ended up either 3.5" or 3.75" OC. I'd have to measure them to be able to say for sure.

My wife gave me a custom plaque for my birthday yesterday that says "Keezer Soze". I'd like to get it mounted and get some pics of it posted sometime soon.

How'd you make those sweet tap handles...yeast vials filled with malt??

Yep, idea stolen from someone else here. I just epoxied a nut to the inside of the cap, filled vial with malt, and screwed on to faucet. One of these days I'll find time to turn some nice handles on the lathe.

Awesome Tower! I was looking for a little more info on what shanks you used and how you attached them. Did you just sandwich the 1" copper pipe and tighten the shank / nut?
Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks!

Awesome Tower! I was looking for a little more info on what shanks you used and how you attached them. Did you just sandwich the 1" copper pipe and tighten the shank / nut?
Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks!

On the outside the shoulder of the shank (next to the faucet coupling nut) sits against the end of the 1" copper. The faucet coupling nut does rub against the copper some when being tightened or loosened. On the inside there is a "washer" type of thing I made from scraps of 3" ABS that fits the contour of the tower on the faucet side, and is flat on the other side for the shank nut to tighten against. Rather than making 4 of these "washers", I made two longer ones which each have two holes and serve two faucets. This way they can't spin and get out of alignment with the contour of the tower. I used cheap chrome plated brass shanks that came in a box of spare parts I picked up at a yard sale. I custom cut all of them to length. Hope that helps.

I just noticed this thread today. I am actually in the middle of my keezer build and am making the sides of my collar similar to yours. I am using 1x12 poplar for the outside. 1/2" blue installation board in the middle, and 1/8" sheet of birch on the inside. I am just planning on painting mine white because the freezer is in my garage and my time is limited. Where my shanks will go through, I may add some 1/2 strips of poplar to stiffen it up there. I geuss i am worried my system will not be very energy efficient because overall it will end up being like an 1 1/2" thick. That and the installation board only has an R value of 3.

What do you think?

I just noticed this thread today. I am actually in the middle of my keezer build and am making the sides of my collar similar to yours. I am using 1x12 poplar for the outside. 1/2" blue installation board in the middle, and 1/8" sheet of birch on the inside. I am just planning on painting mine white because the freezer is in my garage and my tiame is limited. Where my shanks will go through, I may add some 1/2 strips of poplar to stiffen it up there. I geuss i am worried my system will not be very energy efficient because overall it will end up being like an 1 1/2" thick. That and the installation board only has an R value of 3.

What do you think?

Sounds fine to me. A lot of people here use just a 2x without any insulation at all (~1.5 R value?). I haven't heard any complaints of major inefficiency issues, and what you're describing would have 2-3 times the R value. I'm no expert, but I'd think making it airtight is just as if not more important than the R value of the collar.

If you really wanted to you could use some aluminum foil. It would help reduce radiant heat transfer, and might help a little. You could staple it to the poplar and/or plywood, or tape it to the foam before assembly.

JuanMoore said:
Sounds fine to me. A lot of people here use just a 2x without any insulation at all (~1.5 R value?). I haven't heard any complaints of major inefficiency issues, and what you're describing would have 2-3 times the R value. I'm no expert, but I'd think making it airtight is just as if not more important than the R value of the collar.

If you really wanted to you could use some aluminum foil. It would help reduce radiant heat transfer, and might help a little. You could staple it to the poplar and/or plywood, or tape it to the foam before assembly.

Ah yes, I do recall that there is a coefficient for reflectivity in that equation for heat loss from my thermo class in college. Although just thinking about it makes me cringe. Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely do that.

Rather han welding or soldering the copper, couldn't you just use a 90 elbow at the corners? Or would that not look as nice?

OHIOSTEVE said:
Rather han welding or soldering the copper, couldn't you just use a 90 elbow at the corners? Or would that not look as nice?

The main reason for me was that 3" copper elbows are $30-$40 each, but I also think they wouldn't look near as nice.

The main reason for me was that 3" copper elbows are $30-$40 each, but I also think they wouldn't look near as nice.

local lowes for some reason has a closeout sale on 3" copper. 10 foot pieces are 61 bucks right now. elbows and fitings are real cheap also.

I had to register just to say I really appreciate the work you have done. The use of copper is perfect for this and I'm going to have to steal your idea :)

We've used copper for a lot of inlays and custom work in our house and its a tough call on whether to polish or let the patina come through. Personally I would polish or seal. When it comes to food or drink, there is something about a clean look that I think works better. Just my opinion though.

Love this build, so you basically used the one outlet for cooling and the other for the rope lights, my question is what would the diagram be for just the cooling outlet and no heating or rope lights? I have searched for an answer but came up empty...could i just use the other templates minus the heating wires?

Love this build, so you basically used the one outlet for cooling and the other for the rope lights, my question is what would the diagram be for just the cooling outlet and no heating or rope lights? I have searched for an answer but came up empty...could i just use the other templates minus the heating wires?

Just use one of the standard diagrams and don't hook up anything to the heating terminals.

Nice project! It is also great to see someone else taking their time on beer project, if not by choice, then due to respect for family budget and good design :) Cheers!

Lookin' good! I'm looking forward to building something although it probably won't be as nice as this one.

Was just given a link to your build. Awesome work!

I am building one like this now out of steel. I thought about copper but it is pricey and we decided to do a chrome powder coat.

Back