Extract: Hit the Trail Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tj218

Reaction score
Recently had Long Trail Brewing's "Hit the Trail Ale" and loved it. I not normally a brown ale fan, but this thing was great. I am finishing up an ESB on Wyeast 1275 (WLP023 equivalent) and was looking to reuse the slurry.

From Long Trails website they say it's a Northern English Brown Ale and that it has Northern Brewer hops in it. Other than that I am not sure where to begin. I am an extract brewer so I know that limits my flavors some, but it's all I can do at this point in time.

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts I would appreciate it!

Do they list any info like gravity, even degrees Plato? Finished or starting?

ABV they surely do, so with any of the combo, we can pretty much figure out their start and finish gravities which would help in tossing a grain bill together.

Perhaps e-mail the brewery and ask them some info.

What grain, or hops, even a starting gravity. Some will oblige, others will be enigmatic

From the site:
Brand Name: Hit the Trail®
Style: English Brown Ale
Color: Brown
Bitterness Units: 24
ABV: 4.2%
Malts: 2-row, Caramel & Chocolate
Hops: Northern Brewer

Description: Hit the Trail is a deep amber ale with a rich and smooth flavor. Malty undertones of vanilla and caramel are kept in check by the addition of Northern Brewer hops.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no idea how to build a recipe from scratch. I assume that means I need a Light LME, and some steeping grains, but no idea how much and which.

Okay, well that helps.

Would you call it medium or light body?

Hoppy, or more malt forward?

Body = sessionable? I would say it's a fairly light body and easily sessionable.

It's malt forward but only slightly.

Thanks for helping!!!

From AHS clone:
Extract: 5 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 1 lb Dry Malt Extract, .5 lb Base Grains, 1 lb Specialty Grains
.5 Mini Mash: 3 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 1 lb Dry Malt Extract, 2 lb Base Grains, 1 lb Specialty Grains
All Grain: 8 lb Base Grains, 1 lb Specialty Grains
White Labs WLP005

Well there ya go. Thats worth a shot to try the kit and see what you think.

Could be close. If I had to guess it was 8# 2 row, .25# of chocolate malt, .75 C80 probably. Gets you close the ABV, and would lend a lighter body, malty profile. Beer appears to be more of a reddish amber, so it probably doesn't have a ton of chocolate malt in it.

English yeast, 1028 or, 1068 maybe.

Hmm, what about the "Malty undertones of vanilla" what grain would produce that?

Hmm, what about the "Malty undertones of vanilla" what grain would produce that?

None. Other than adding vanilla, or perhaps oak in some cases. Just a descriptor used by someone who tasted it and wanted to sell it.

Back