Camlock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianQuaffer

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm getting some camlocks soon and I'm having a tough time deciding what to use for my female couplers. I'm deciding between type C (with the built in hose barb) type D with a 5/8" hose barb screwed on, or type B and force the silicone tubing over the 1/2" male threading.
All three are shown here halfway down the page.
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=51_54&product_id=133

My preference would be for type C for simplicity but I'd like to hear what you guys who've been using them have to say. I've read that type C can restricrt flow. Any thoughts/opinions on any of these?

Cheers! :mug:

Nick

I use the type d and have no complaints. If you are bothered by the threads you can just grind them off. But they seem to have zero impact on my experience.

B works for me too. I boil my coldside hose/camlock assemblies with my plate chiller every batch though. If I was relying on PBW and starsan flush, I might think otherwise.

I don't have camlocks (although eventually I'd like to?)

I have several 1/2" hose barbs in my system and have not found a problem with restriction. Currently my pump is about 24" below the kettle valve, so that helps. But take it for what it's worth....

I use type B with a 90 degree street elbow so the hose doesn't kink
I then just 'screw' my silicone hose onto the elbow.
No leaks.

Type C is a really small port. I've got one and 1/2" silicone hose doesn't fit snugly at all. I'd have to clamp it if I used it.

I recently picked up some B style camlocks and plan on using those. They fit over the threads pretty good.

I use the Type C and they work just fine for me. Never had a flow issue. Also don't have any sealing issues. I use 1/2" ID thermal hose and without hose clamps I've never had a leak.

Type B here with 1/2 hose screwed on and hose clamped for piece of mind. Simple and cheap.

Depends on where you are using them. If on the input side of a pump a 1/2 inch hose barb will not do well, I would use a 3/4 hose barb and hose on the input side. In the outlets, they are fine. You need a full port 1/2 on the inlet (or 3/4 with center inlet chugger) so as not to restrict flow.

Back