pasteurizing champagne bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NVBattleBorn

Reaction score
I have have read the thread on stove top pasteurizing, but didn't see anything about bottles of this size. I would guess it would just take more time.

Anyone have experience with this? I don't want to end up with bombs.

I only use 750ml champagne bottles. Never had a problem with pasteurizing, they're rated for much higher internal pressures than beer bottles.

I pasteurize in a canning pot with wire rack to keep the bottles off the bottom. Set starting water temp to 160, then add 6 bottles, and start the timer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally for even heating. Temps drop about 10 degrees then rise slowly. Close to 160 again when the timer chimes.

No bombs ever, but I always track carbonation with a plastic soda bottle, then measure the SG drop and test for over-carbonation by popping a glass bottle then re-cap and proceed.

I also wear safety glasses and sleeves/pants/footwear when pasteurizing. Safety first. If a champagne bottle fails due to pressure it's pretty spectacular. Seen people get cut by flying shards of glass a few inches across at ~20ft. Not something you what to have happen in your kitchen.

P1010475.jpg

Can you give me a little more detail about the soda bottle? What size bottle? How much do you put in it? How long do you wait to check it?

My cider has been racked to a glass carboy, and set out in the garage where it is steady at 45 degrees. Most of the yeast has fallen out and it is fairly clear at this point. Will I need more yeast at this point, or should I just give it a try?

Thanks for your help!

I use a 20oz soda bottle that gets sanitized and filled midway through the bottling process and then is stored just like the glass bottles. By squeezing the soda bottle, the rate of carbonation has be roughly tracked. Once it becomes rock hard you're probably just under 3 Vols of pressure and it's time to pasteurize. I like to give it a squeeze a couple times a day mostly because it's fun :) even though most batches of mine carb in just over a week.

As always, the pasteurization sticky is a great resource.

As a general rule of thumb I add more yeast if the batch has sat more than 3-4 months in secondary regardless of clarity.

Back