Honey-Alt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HanzerBiscuit

Reaction score
Brewed my first made up non-kit recipe today, also my first Partial mash.
I was going for a sort of German Alt. Not sure if I got close.

Partial Mash total volume 3.5 gallons
3 lbs Pilsner Malt
1 lb Gambrinus Honey Malt

Bittering Hops: 1.5 oz German Opal Hop Pellets 6.3%aa for 60 min

Late Extract addition: 6 lbs Northern Brewer Munich Malt for 15 min

Aroma Hops:
.5 oz German Opal Hop Pellets 6.3%aa for 5 min
1 oz German Hersbrucker Hop Pellets 2.3%aa for 5 min

SG was 1.060
Pitched Wyeast German Ale 1007

Not sure what my efficiency was on the partial mash but I am sure the next few will have a little better technique.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Well, it looks like a ton of honey malt- you may end up with a very sweet tasting beer. I've used half a pound in a lighter recipe before and been totally overpowered by the sweetness. See how you like this and adjust for next time.

Ended up way too sweet. Made a tea of .5 oz columbus and .5 oz fuggle boiled in 2 quarts of water for 60 min to add some some more bitter and mask the sweet. Its drinkable now. Ooops Live and learn I guess.

Ended up way too sweet. Made a tea of .5 oz columbus and .5 oz fuggle boiled in 2 quarts of water for 60 min to add some some more bitter and mask the sweet. Its drinkable now. Ooops Live and learn I guess.

Yea that honey malt is surprisingly powerful stuff. Now you'll know for next time, though!

Back