Beer concentrate/dehydrated beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmad2000

Reaction score
On a different forum somebody posted this. http://patsbcb.com/beer.html

Here is the process that i think they use to concentrate the beer.
Step 1 - Brew the beer
Step 2 - Fermentation
Step 3 - Freeze distill - Freeze concentrate the beer - They might not do this
Step 4 - Distillation - Heat the concentrated beer so that you extract the water but keep all the flavor.

Since the big problem is getting rid of all the water they would need to keep a ridiculous control of temperature. I think they would do something similar to how they refine oil using a fractal distillation chamber. This would take apart the beer into its individual parts then they throw away the water and mix all the other parts back together.

What do you guys think?

Also mods please move is this is the wrong place.

Cool, beer for back-country camping. The only thing keeping me from hiking the Appalachian Trail is being able to pack-in a sufficient supply of beer for the hike......problem solved with dehydrated beer. Woot!

Kinda funny. I'm reading the new IPA book and british brewers tried to do this for several decades. eg dehydrate beer, ship overseas, and rehydrate. You could save huge money if you cut your shipping costs. Of course, they all failed miserably and the resulting beer was horrible.

FarmerTed do you know how a fractional distillation works?
The beer would be kinda broken down into its individual components.
I dont know the different temperatures but methanol is like 76, ethanol is 80, water is 100 and some of the flavor compounds are higher than 100 others are lower.
Everything would be put back together less the water.

Alcohol is a liquid itself so you can't just remove the water. They use cyclodextrines (basically molecules formed out of rings of sugar molecules) that absorb alcohol. Then you get cyclodextrine powder that's full of alcohol, and will dissolve in water releasing the alcohol into solution. I'm thinking they probably don't start with beer, it's easier to come up with a powdered drink that "tastes like beer" (hop extracts, malt, sugars) and throw in some alcohol powder.

Back