DME vs. LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reiffer75

Reaction score
what are the advantages/disadvantages of using dme vs. Using lme? I have found lme much easier to use cuz the time it takes for dme to dissolve but most recipes call for mostly dme. Is it ok to substitute all lme and not use any dme?

You can use LME instead of DME, From my experience if you want to convert DME -> LME you do:

Weight DME X 0.8 = Weight LME

With DME the sugars become less effective over time, same with LME, but from my experience in the LHBS the LME moves a lot more than the DME so the LME is most often fresher.

You can use LME instead of DME, From my experience if you want to convert DME -> LME you do:

With DME the sugars become less effective over time, same with LME, but from my experience in the LHBS the LME moves a lot more than the DME so the LME is most often fresher.

I find the opposite. DME is usually fresher and does not degrade as fast as LME. I prefer DME. Sure you Can use LME if it is fresh but DME does take mor eeffort to use. The other advantage of DME is it is much easier to measure out any quantity you want.... try that with LME.

Use what you feel most comfortable with as long as it is fresh.

actually it's the opposite. Weight LME x 0.8 = Weight DME

I'm a newb, but my understanding is this:

* LME doesn't keep as long, but generally turns around faster.
* DME keeps longer, but doesn't turn around as fast.

You can reach your own conclusion, but my plan is that LME is fine if I'm brewing right away, and I'll use DME if I expect it to sit on the shelf for awhile.

DME seems to always produce a lighter color. i also think there is less of the "extract beer twang."

Also, since DME keeps longer, I was able to buy a TON of it at my LHBS for a bulk discount and store it.

By storing bulk amounts of DME, maltodextrine, hop pellets, and dry yeast, I can brew a quick batch any time I want without having to go to the LHBS or ordering from online.

Back