Brewing the beer for a Company BBQ, what should I brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DankHead

Reaction score
The restaurant I work at is having a BBQ in about 6 weeks, and my mangers asked me if I'd like to brew the beer for it. We live in Austin and most everyone that works at this place are pretty versed in craft beer, but I dont know about the people they will be bringing.

Im going to do two 5 gallon batches, and keg them. Im thinking of doing my 'house' pale ale (all Amarillo hopped, 35-ish ibu's, 10 srm, 5.5% ABV) and then maybe doing doing Yoopers Hoppy Amber (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/hoppy-american-amber-malty-american-pale-ale-145402/) Both of them are pretty medium gravity, and not TOO intimidating for most.

Any other styles/recipes you guys think might work better?

This will be the first time anyone I've worked with will try any of my beers, and I want to blow them away. I want to do everything by the book, and get super clear, perfectly carbonated, crisp tasting beer. That, and its the only beer for the whole BBQ so I cant mess it up...

thanks for the help!
Cheers! :mug:

Isnt 6 weeks kinda soon for fermentation and conditioning? Maybe you should try a real young drinking beer like a bavarian hefe or even a wit?

I think he'll be fine if he goes for something simple, med-gravity, American style. 10-14 days in primary and then keg leaves 30 or so days in keg to carb, crash, and condition.

More specifically, I would do an APA/ Amber and a Blonde Ale.

APA: 6.0%abv 60 IBUS 15SRM (small IPA w/ more caramel malt for color and sweeetness)
Blonde: 4.75%abv 30 IBUS 5SRM

I plan on doing the 1-2-3 meathod which is exactly 6 weeks. If I need more clarity I'll try gelatin fining. I've never done it before, but if it comes down to it I'll try it.

Your house pale ale and Centennial Blonde would probably cover most people. Good luck!

If your first beer is a pale ale maybe you should brew something that is not hop driven? If you are worried about non experienced beer drinkers, one of the things I've found is that they often are not used to biterness and a lot of hop taste. Maybe you could do a porter?

I vote for a mild or a standard bitter. Low gravity, not too hoppy or intimidating, but still flavorful and beer geeky enough for the craft drinkers.

plus, I happen to love traditional english beer :mug:

I did a cream of three crops for a company potluck, and it was extremely well recieved. I used amarillo, and also added about 1/2oz at 5min for some aroma.

I just threw a party for 45 employees and coworkers last week. Mostly BMC drinkers.

I did 5 beers - yoopers oatmeal stout, SNPA clone hopped with some Citra, a German Amber Ale, an all Citra IPA, and Centennial Blonde. I had 2 cases of Labatts on hand just in case.

The Stout and Blonde went quickly and garnered the most positive feedback. The pale ale seemed to be everyone's 3rd favorite. I went through a six pack of the Labatts. I think the IPA was the least well received, but a few guys who also brew said they enjoyed it.

The party was a success, but now I'm stuck with 1-1/2 cases of Labatts.

Hope that helps with your decision.

I've decided. Doing a honey cream ale. Simple, but good.
It looks like this:
4.25 lbs. 2row Pale
4.25 lbs. 2row Pils
1 lbs. Flaked Corn
4oz. honey malt
1 lbs. local honey @ 5 min.

1oz liberty @ 60 min
1oz liberty @10 min

WLP001

thank you guys for all the help and advice, Im really excited about this!

cheers!

Brown Ales tend to do well in mixed company. Not too much hop flavor up front, nice malty sweetness and good color.

Back