Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrapeKoolaid

Reaction score
just opened one of my Chocolate Oatmeal Stouts and the beer is not thick at all. When brewing I used 3.5lbs of oats. I did a 3.5gallon brew and qc'd to 5gallons. I can submit more info on what grains/extract was used. My OG was ~1.055 and the FG was ~1.01. What could have been my issue?

Oatmeal doesn't create body- in fact, it can make a beer feel thinner due to the slickness in the mouthfeel from oats. In my oatmeal stout, I use flaked barley for body and head retention, along with crystal malt.

If you post the actual recipe, we could help you figure out how to fix it for next time.

>>Oatmeal doesn't create body- in fact, it can make a beer feel thinner due to the slickness in the mouthfeel from oats. In my oatmeal stout, I use flaked barley for body and head retention, along with crystal malt.

Yooper, if one wanted to make the beer a bit thicker, what grains would one use?
Or just add Malto-Dextrin?

I realize that mashing higher may contribute to a thicker mouth feel.

How long did you leave the beer to mature. My stouts seem to get a better thickness after about 3 months. Before that they just seem watery.

>>Oatmeal doesn't create body- in fact, it can make a beer feel thinner due to the slickness in the mouthfeel from oats. In my oatmeal stout, I use flaked barley for body and head retention, along with crystal malt.

Yooper, if one wanted to make the beer a bit thicker, what grains would one use?
Or just add Malto-Dextrin?

I realize that mashing higher may contribute to a thicker mouth feel.

For grains, for a richer mouthfeel, I'd use flaked barley and crystal malt. I'd mash at a higher temperature than for pale ales, even as high as 156-158. That usually results in a full bodied "chewy" oatmeal stout.

Sometimes I want a medium bodied oatmeal stout, and I just mash a little bit lower (154) but keep the flaked barley and crystal malt.

Good info to note. My breakfast stout feels thinner in mouth feel, and I figured I could use more oats in there. It's becoming thicker, and better as it sits in the keg, and also as it became carb'd.. I was wanting more of a stout milkshake I guess! ;)

I brewed an Oatmeal Stout with OG/FG nearly identical to yours. It was the AHS Samuel Smith's clone, and the mash temp on the recipe was 150F. For a chewy stout, that's just too low, as explained above. There aren't enough unfermentables left in the final product. SS Oatmeal Stout isn't the chewiest one out there, but neither is it as dry and thin as what their recipe produced.

Back