Bottled my first brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slice716

Reaction score
My first brew was bottled on Sunday and I let them sit in the kitchen at room temp for three days ans then moved them to the basement. Just wondering how long I should let them sit at this point until I can drink my brew...Its an IPA btw

General consensus on here is ~two weeks, minimum, bottle conditioning. Congrats and cheers!

Nice!

Assuming your basement stays cool year-round I'd say move them back to a warmer area. Three weeks at 70*F is the common benchmark for average gravity beers (~1.050.) Leaving them in a cooler area will probably take longer, which you don't want considering it's an IPA. You can get away with that with beer styles that require aging but IPA's should be enjoyed sooner rather than later as hop aroma/flavor can diminish over time.

How long has it been since you bottled? If it's been a week or two go ahead and throw one in the fridge for 24 hours and then crack it open and try it. You'll get an idea of how carbonation progresses and it'll quell the antsy-pantsy nature that all new brewers have. If you can, try one each week so you can experience the process of carbonation yourself :mug:

I agree on tasting one or two after a week or so. It serves no real purpose but always makes me feel better to see that the beer is getting carbination. Make sure you have a good supply of other beers on hand so that you do not drink them all.

It will be a week tomorrow that I bottled, I will just have to throw one in the fridge and try it...just for scientific reasons...hahaha! Cant wait! Next brew is a raspberry wheat! :D

bellam87 said:
You should've just drank out of the carboy.... much fresher that way!

look_of_disapproval_monster_by_derilyn-d38pphi.jpg

Back