Yeasty tasting Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gw1jeeps

Reaction score
I made this recipe from here a couple weeks ago, I was reading the forum I got this from about the yeast, and it had said you could use liquid yeast, Wyeast 3068. My LBHS said this would add a banana clove taste. But after following the recipe exactly, and bottling, it tastes really YEASTY? This is the second time of using this yeast in wheat beers and has tasted bad. Am I doing something wrong, does the LBHS have bad yeast? Or do I just not like this yeast taste? I brewed 2 different beers that day, and on the other batch, I used dry yeast and it turned out great.
Here is the recipe I used. I guess I should have just used the recommended yest.
Extract - Simple Hefeweizen
Batch Size (Gallons): 5 gal
Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 14
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 days @ 68f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): N/A
Tasting Notes: A quick and easy Hefeweizen. Serve with a lemon wedge on a hot summer day.

5 lbs. Briess Bavarian wheat DME

8 oz. Carahell

1 oz. Tettnanger (4%)

Danstar Munich

Steep grains for 20 min. @ 155f. Bring to boil and add 2 lbs. extract and Tettnanger hops. Add 3 lbs. extract with 10 minutes remaining in the boil. Ferment for 10 days, keg at about 4 volumes (or bottle) and enjoy. (Full boil recommended). Nothing fancy here, just a very easy and quick Hefe that manages to disappear rapidly. It's almost too simple to post but My friends and I dig this beer so much I figured it might be worth sharing. Fermenting in the mid 60's makes for a very clean American style Hefe but my last batch fermented around 70 and is much closer to a true Bavarian style.
:drunk:

Or do I just not like this yeast taste?

This would be my vote. Hefe = yeast in German. The yeast is the signature flavor of this style.

You could try cold conditioning your bottles for a while to drop out more of the yeast, see if you like that any better.

Try some commercial hefeweizens and see if you like those...if not, you know it's a style you don't like.

This would be my vote. Hefe = yeast in German. The yeast is the signature flavor of this style.

You could try cold conditioning your bottles for a while to drop out more of the yeast, see if you like that any better.

Try some commercial hefeweizens and see if you like those...if not, you know it's a style you don't like.

Yeah, to further elaborate on my first post. You used 3068? That's Weihenstephan's 68 strain, used in Weihenstephaner Hefe Weiss Bier, a very very yeasty and ester-y brew. The key to the Hefe style is yeast, in fact the best Hefe's are dominated by yeast flavor/aroma, IMO. Sounds like you may be more of an American Wheat guy. Those are crisp, a lot cleaner, and sometimes even citrus-y/hoppy.

Thanks for the help. My friends all thought it was good. And I do perfer IPA's and Ale's
I haven't had a Hefe in a while, guess my tastes have changed.

It's possible you may like it better with less yeast in suspension. I don't know if you've ever had Ayinger's wheat beers, but they don't have a ton of yeast in suspension. They're definitely not clear, but they're not milky either. As another poster said, some cool conditioning could help.

I'm confused as to what yeast you used. Was it the Danstar Munich listed in the recipe (a dry yeast) or the Wyeast 3068?

Many hefe yeasts will give different flavors (through esters) based on the fermentation temperature. If you made a beer, and it fermented a little warm, it would be significantly different if you fermented it cold.

It's possible you may like it better with less yeast in suspension. I don't know if you've ever had Ayinger's wheat beers, but they don't have a ton of yeast in suspension. They're definitely not clear, but they're not milky either. As another poster said, some cool conditioning could help.

As will a very careful pour. I've noticed that even with a very yeasty Hefe, if you are careful not to pour the bulk of the yeast, they taste a lot different.

The thing is, I've also noticed that Hefe is a style you either love or hate. I love 'em, but my wife who likes American Wheat beer a lot, can't stand even a 'clean' Hefe. You may just not like the style.

As will a very careful pour. I've noticed that even with a very yeasty Hefe, if you are careful not to pour the bulk of the yeast, they taste a lot different.

The thing is, I've also noticed that Hefe is a style you either love or hate. I love 'em, but my wife who likes American Wheat beer a lot, can't stand even a 'clean' Hefe. You may just not like the style.

I'd still prefer old crashing to help other stuff to flocc out, in addition to the yeast. Proteins/fine break material could muddy the flavor a bit too.

I'd still prefer old crashing to help other stuff to flocc out, in addition to the yeast. Proteins/fine break material could muddy the flavor a bit too.

Oh yeah, that's a good idea too. I personally don't cold crash Hefe's, but if you're wanting to knock more yeast out it would surely do the trick. I love a yeast-y Hefe too much to limit it, but my wife prefers a clean American wheat, and pours them to keep the yeast out. I may try cold crashing my next Am. Wheat to see if it comes out even cleaner for her.

Latest posts

Back