Pressure canning starter wort today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helibrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pressure canning 6.5 gallons of wort today to give me a years worth of starter. I love when a day off becomes productive :)

1/2 gallon jars fit four at a time in my 21.5 quart All American 921 canner.

Excellent plan and a great idea. I've been doing silly things like filling a White Lab's vial up with wort after emptying it when I begin a starter, leaving the cap on loosely for a couple of days while it perks, and then tightening it down and refrigerating it till my next starter. Seems quite a bit easier than washing to me and so far has worked well.

Very cool. I do this and store starter wort in the closet. When I need to make a starter, pull out the yeast over night and start the starter the next day. Works great.

I am very familiar with the canning process - enough that i don't relish the thought.

I'm wondering, aside from having it right there when you think of it, what the advantage is over sanitizing a tempered pyrex or autoclavable polycarbonate flask, measuring some DME into it, and then pouring in boiling water and waiting until it cools?

sanitary canning is a good way to get sanitary wort, but, like anything else, it's not perfect.

I like it because this way I don't have to use DME and it is very convenient to have one ready to go. I also make sterile water the same way for yeast washing. I have built up quite a library of frozen yeast half pints from washed batches and sometimes step starters are needed to build them back up. Super easy to add another can of pre-packaged starter wort when needed.

I am very familiar with the canning process - enough that i don't relish the thought.

I'm wondering, aside from having it right there when you think of it, what the advantage is over sanitizing a tempered pyrex or autoclavable polycarbonate flask, measuring some DME into it, and then pouring in boiling water and waiting until it cools?

sanitary canning is a good way to get sanitary wort, but, like anything else, it's not perfect.

With 6 hours of work I have al,ost 6 gallons of wort which will last me the entire year for brewing. I had a day off in nice weather so it worked out great. Now I don't have to wonder if I have some DME around when I get the bug for a brew day.

I pressure can my starter wort too. I also make sterile water and I even pressure can my own priming solutions. I don't see the a technical downside to it. Its so convenient to have at room temp exactly when you want it!

Back