Figuring out the cork size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukinfuts29

Reaction score
I can't find my answer on this, it's making me nuts lol. How can I figure out which cork size to buy for my 1.5L wine bottles and my 750ML bottles?

Dunno, but I found a rule of thumb that says the cork should be 6mm bigger (dia) than the bottle opening for still wines, 7mm for beer/low carb wines, and more for champagne.

Standard wine bottles take a #9 cork, though you can use a #8 if you have a hand corker.

You need a corker either way, but if you plan on using the #9 corks you'll have better luck with the floor corker. Use a #8 cork if you use a hand corker.

Do you soak your corks in hot water for 15min.before corking?

Never soak the corks! And don't boil them! They will start to break down.

If you feel that you must sanitize them, you could make up a "sulfite humidor"- dissolve a crushed campden tablet in boiling water in a small container, and place it in a larger container with the corks around it and cover it to "steam" sulfite the corks.

Make sure the length of the cork doesn't extend past the neck of the bottle... If the cork is pressed too low in the bottle it could pull it self into the bottle and will make a mess and/or more difficult to remove. This is important when corking Burgundy type bottles.

A Floor corker is worth the money if your bottling 50+ bottles a year!

Back