What kind of bugs are inside Jolly Pumpkin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything I am told and read is that his beers are just brett and lacto with no pedio. I am trying to motivate myself to streak a swab from a JP beer onto a WLD bacteria plate to see what grows. If it's only lacto I will get hardly any growth because I don't have access to the O2 scrubbing packs that go in an anaerobic culture chamber.

I'm pretty sure it's more than lacto and brett. IIRC from a bn interview their critters come from the air (or at least they did at one point before they colonized the barrels). Also, they take some of their beer's ibus into the 30's and that would take a pretty strong lacto strain.

OP, JP bottles a lot if stuff after only a few months so you may not get much brett if you get a fresh one. Old ones are brettier. I love the dregs because they're the most aggressive bugs I can get here in KY.

Bryan,

I have had great results using Hannsens dregs as well in a few beers.

As for the JP dregs, I believe their beers have Brett, Lacto, and Pedio. Crack open a bottle of their Perseguidor 5 or Lambicus Dexterius and you will agree.

Latest posts

Back