Blue Ribbon Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HellFish75

Reaction score
I have a 3lb. un-opened Jar of Blue Ribbon Malt Extract. It was my grandfathers and I was trying to get some info on this. I called Premier Malts, and they said they have never seen a jar, only cans. They told me it must be 50 or 60 yrs. old. Any help?

There's one on craglist for 40 bucks.

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/atq/2504090584.html

Found that by googling.

3n23k93m95V25Q25X6b7k73080aa728831fd1.jpg

Thanks for the info, i tried ebay and other sites, but no jars. interesting you found that on craigslist. There is a 4 digit # on the side I hope is a packaging date, 3960.

I think the number means it is good until the year 3960. I used to make some brutal brews with that stuff when I was not quite legal, cans only though.

Proving once again that if you remember the 60's clearly,you weren't there! :D Or maybe 3/9/60?...might not be julian dating. Always thought he was a lil strange...:drunk:

LOL! Good stuff. Y'all must have used Blue Ribbon by the sounds. Maybe we can get a class action brew going.

I had friends that used to make "homebrew" out of that, along with a pack of Fleishman's Bakers Yeast. Got everything in the grocery store. Hops? What are hops?
Tasted nasty, chunks of yeast in the bottom.
I tried a batch, put it in a carboy I used to make wine with, set it in a sunny spot. Didn't know what a "krausen" was then. Looked nasty, so I dumped it. Actually smelled pretty good. The wine I used to make was with a few cans of Welch's Grape Juice concentrate, a 5-pound bag of cane sugar, and some wine yeast. Put it up in old liquor bottles. Sweet like Mogen David, but it'd get you drunk.

Boy,that takes me back. I remember mom baking some kind of coffee cake with that stuff. Just couldn't remember bottle or can though. Was kinda malty sweet bread kinda taste,as I remember.

I had forgotten the picture of the woman on the label. She looks pretty hopped up.

Back