Frigidaire 7.2cf = 1/2 Barrel (full size) keg??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pieceman

Reaction score
I recently finished converting my Frigidaire 7.2 deep freezer into a keezer. Problem is, when I bought the thing I just "eyeballed" the inside and thought I'd have no problem fitting a 1/2 barrel inside it. Well that procrastination is now turning into a reality and I'm worried that I don't have the room. The measurements of the floor are 16 1/8" x 18 3/4", the rest is taken up by the compressor hump.

Does anyone know from experience if I could fit a full keg into this guy? Or would I just be wasting my money (and my back!) trying to attempt it..

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

That would be a really really tight squeeze. Most straight side 1/2 bbl kegs measure 16 1/8" diameter. The bulged ones will not fit (17" dia). How precise was your measurement?

That would be a really really tight squeeze. Most straight side 1/2 bbl kegs measure 16 1/8" diameter. The bulged ones will not fit (17" dia). How precise was your measurement?

Here's the exact measurement.. Seems a bit closer to 16 1/4" at second glance.

photo%282%29_thumb.jpg

Won't be easy, but it looks like it'll probably fit. Full 1/2 bbl kegs are very heavy, and with such a tight fit I'd absolutely find a helper rather than try to wrestle it in by myself.

I would like to report back with success!!

The 1/2 bbl keg did indeed fit inside the keezer! The actual size of the miller brewing company keg was less than 16 inches and with 2 people, it fit in with relative ease. Hopefully this information will help future Frigidaire owners with sizing concerns.

How the hell are you lifting this keg into your keezer (and lowering it without punching a hole in your keezer floor)?

How the hell are you lifting this keg into your keezer (and lowering it without punching a hole in your keezer floor)?

Well it's my brother and myself picking it up and lowering it into the keezer. Honestly its not a big deal. We lift it up sideways, one at each end, and clear the collar, after that it's just a matter of rotating it right side up. We've changed it out twice since I first posted with no problems at all. Not even so much as a scratch on the collar or seal.

i use a cheapo $75 harbor freight electric hoist to lower 1/2 barrels into my freezer, it hangs from the rafters in the garage and easily lifts 500lbs or so with the simple reinforcement i have it on. for a cheap hoist, it runs really smooth and quiet.

i use a cheapo $75 harbor freight electric hoist to lower 1/2 barrels into my freezer, it hangs from the rafters in the garage and easily lifts 500lbs or so with the simple reinforcement i have it on. for a cheap hoist, it runs really smooth and quiet.

+1 to this. Don't work harder, work smarter.

Do you mind posting a picture of the inside with the 1/2 keg in? This is the setup I am thinking about doing!

Can't find my digi camera but here's a pic I snapped with my iphone. Should give you a good understanding though. You could fit 2 additional 1/6 kegs in there too if you mount the Co2 and regulator on the outside. A full keg is more than enough for us though. Good luck!

:mug:

keg_thumb.jpg

Back