0.7% AA Saaz, Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeNomad

Reaction score
I recently won about 1-2 lbs of 0.7% AA Saaz at a club meeting. Does anyone have any suggestions for a recipe that I might use these for? I am thinking of using them for a dryhopping. I can't see these being any good for bittering without building up some epic trub loss.

Well, are they low-AA% because they're OLD, or because the crop came in really light that year? I seem to recall some other absurdly-low AA% Saaz not too long back.

Just curious, does the AA level have anything to do with the anti-microbial properties of hops? I was considering dropping a pellet of these into each starter I make from now on.

Sounds like a lambic is in order to me.

That's just what I was going to suggest, too.

Hops keep their antimicrobial properties even when aged and low in AAs. This is exactly why the lambic brewers use old hops: they want the preservative qualities, but not the bitterness.

That's just what I was going to suggest, too.

Hops keep their antimicrobial properties even when aged and low in AAs. This is exactly why the lambic brewers use old hops: they want the preservative qualities, but not the bitterness.

Yes, do this. You can age the rest and use for lambic for several years.

If they still smell decent you could throw them in with flavor and aroma additions. I can't imagine that there are too many styles which saaz wouldn't go well with.

Back