Mini-fridge freezer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBZSTL

Reaction score
I have a Sanyo mini-fridge as the cooling source for my ferm chamber. Any thoughts on how to keep the freezer portion from running? I do not see a control switch for just the freezer.

Most fridges work using a "trickle down " effect whereby there is only 1 cooling coil, and it directly feeds the freezer. The cool air falls down into the fridge area, cooling it.

If you remove any shrouding/door from around the freezer area, then the fridge part will cool quicker, and the compressor won't run as much.

I did this w/ an old fridge I use for beer storage which was freezing up. W/o the freezer area shrouded, it doesn't freeze up there anymore, although I do use a temp controller to keep the fridge area at a set temp.

Most fridges work using a "trickle down " effect whereby there is only 1 cooling coil, and it directly feeds the freezer. The cool air falls down into the fridge area, cooling it.

If you remove any shrouding/door from around the freezer area, then the fridge part will cool quicker, and the compressor won't run as much.

I did this w/ an old fridge I use for beer storage which was freezing up. W/o the freezer area shrouded, it doesn't freeze up there anymore, although I do use a temp controller to keep the fridge area at a set temp.

I have included pictures of my particular fridge. I thought about crimping the line but that could be tricky and actually cut the line open (not good). What if I installed a small fan (like a pc fan) near the freezer portion to keep the air moving around. Would this prevent the ice build up on the freezer shelf? Could I wire the fan to my temp controller so that it would only turn on when the fridge turned on?

ferm1.jpg

ferm2.jpg

I have included pictures of my particular fridge. I thought about crimping the line but that could be tricky and actually cut the line open (not good). What if I installed a small fan (like a pc fan) near the freezer portion to keep the air moving around. Would this prevent the ice build up on the freezer shelf? Could I wire the fan to my temp controller so that it would only turn on when the fridge turned on?

the freezer coil is the only evaporator in your refrigerator.... if you disable it, you will disable all cooling in your refrigerator. no matter what, you're going to get some ice buildup on the evaporator.

There are four screws that hold that shelf in place. You can unscrew them and gently tilt the whole shelf back. If the rack holders don't hold the self in place leaning back againt the back, use some duct or strapping tape to hold it there.

Back