pressure problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 44350

Reaction score
ok so i bought a used keg not too long ago but i think that it has pressure problems.

what i do is pressurize it up to 40 psi disconnect it and leave it sit over night. but when i use the pressure release to see how much pressure is in it, it either give me a second of pressure release that is weak. or some times nothing at all. is this normal or do you think that i have a pressure leak. i know it is not how tight the connects are. what do you think i should do?

after you pressurize the keg are you disconnecting it from the co2?
as the co2 is absorbed in to the liquid the pressure will decrease if there is no co2 in the liquid it will take all your pressure until it saturates the liquid with co2.
I would pressurize the keg and put it in a bath tub of cold water and if it's leaking you'll see the bubbles
I make soda in 2l bottles and I force all the air out by squeezing the bottle til the liquid gets to the top then I put 20 psi of co2.
when I shake the bottle it starts to suck in the side walls as co2 is absorbed.
I do this 3 or 4 times before the bottle holds pressure.
that's with the bottle 3/4 full so if your keg is 3/4 full it may take a few shots of co2 before you will see pressure.
hope that helps

i didnt know that it gets absorbed into the liquid and decreases the pressure. so how long do you think that i should leave the co2 on a 5 gal keg? overnight?

i didnt know that it gets absorbed into the liquid and decreases the pressure. so how long do you think that i should leave the co2 on a 5 gal keg? overnight?

If it's leaking, you'll have an empty co2 tank in the morning, so check for leaks first! You can use soapy water on the posts and lid or dunk it in the bathtub.

I leave my co2 connected all the time- that's what carbonates the soda or beer. Force carbonation forces co2 into the solution. You have to have it connected to co2 to do that.

well i guess it is a good thing that i asked and i was being stoopid about not knowing how to check for a leak. i do have one in my pressure release. and the closest one i can get is 20 fricken bucks.

it should be standard NPT thread take out the valve and go to a plumbing supply shop and explain what it's for and they should be able to fix you up with something simple and cheaper
glad to hear you found the problem

Back