Foaming Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerloin

Reaction score
I just went to my local HB store today to buy a 10 ft line for dispensing. The guy told me that I should always have the CO2 tank outside of the fridge. In reading some other posts, it seems like there could be a pressure difference in having the CO2 inside vs outside the fridge.

I attached the 10 ft hose and I am still having major foaming. Would this be because the regulator is indicating 12psi but the temperature difference could throw off the reading? Could I be dispensing at 14?20?

thanks!!

:mug:

I just went to my local HB store today to buy a 10 ft line for dispensing. The guy told me that I should always have the CO2 tank outside of the fridge. In reading some other posts, it seems like there could be a pressure difference in having the CO2 inside vs outside the fridge.

I attached the 10 ft hose and I am still having major foaming. Would this be because the regulator is indicating 12psi but the temperature difference could throw off the reading? Could I be dispensing at 14?20?

thanks!!

:mug:

Cold air causes CO2 to compress. This can make the tank look more empty on the high pressure gauge than it actually is. Of course, it's pretty useless anyway.

Does nothing to the low pressure side. Your foam problems are caused by something else. Even at 20psi, 10ft of line should be good to go.

As for what that could be...are you opening the faucet fully? How much foam we talking here?

Was it 3/16ths beverage hose?

You may just have and overcarb'd beer.

1. Turn off the gas to your keg.
  2. Open the relief valve on the keg just long enough to hear the intensity of the gas escaping start to decrease (this should leave you just enough gas in the keg to still push beer.
  3. Open your tap (all the way) for 2-3 seconds to flush the line of accumulated bubbles.
  4. Now pour a 6 ounce serving (with the tap open all the way).

If the beer in the line appears fizzy and the beer continues to be excessively foamy, you need to flatten out your beer some.
  1. Disconnect the gas line.
  2. Remove your keg lid after bleeding all pressure.
  3. Using a sterilized paddle, gently stir your beer until it appears to froth a bit. (Be very careful. If your beer is severly overcarbonated...you could have a keg gusher.)
  4. Let the beer settle for 15-20 minutes and repeat this 3 or 4 times.
  5. Replace the lid and purge the oxygen.
  6. Repeat the above steps to test taste the beer.

Back