Making a "Warm apple pie" drink (not beer but i need advice)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betacrash

Reaction score
I made up a batch of an apple pie high alcohol drink to give out to friends and family for the holidays. If anyone is curious, here is the recipe.

1gal Apple Cider
1gal Apple Juice
3 cups of sugar
6 cinnamon sticks

Throw it all in a pot then let it boil. Once it boils take it off of the heat and let it cool down. Once cool pour in a 750ml bottle of Everclear 95% grain alcohol.

Here is my issue to the guys that may know anything about storage of high alcohol fluids.

I have the two gallons of cooked apple concoction in an ale pale right now. I have not poured the Everclear in yet because I was worried that the ale pale may not be able to handle the alcohol? please let me know if it really is a concern.

Second, another reason that I am waiting is that I am looking for a good bottle to store it in. I was going to do beer bottles but I would rather give something resealable so it doesnt have to be consumed all at once. Anyone have a good suggestion for a 7-12 ounce bottle that would be a good vessel for this fine product? I was going to do ball jars but after buying them i dont like the way that they look.

That sounds pretty good. Any specific reason you don't just use 2 gallons of cider?

Don't worry about the alcohol and your ale pail. My fiancee's parents bottle their limoncello in small glass bottles with a black screw on cap. I'll ask where they got them. With the limoncello, we drink a small shot glass size serving as an aperitif, then stash back in the fridge or freezer. That kind of sounds like what you are going for with this recipe.

EDIT:
just found something similar. Not sure if thats exactly what they use, but it is the 375mL size. http://www.ebottles.com/showbottles.asp?familyid=1149

Flip top bottles would be good, or maybe some of the used glass liquor bottles with the crew on or cork caps.

Ten years. Ten years. There are now college students who won't get the reference. I feel so old.

Hee hee, yeah, I know. The really sad thing was I felt too old to be watching that damn movie when it came out ten years ago! :(

I bottled a batch of apple pie in 12oz bottles with a capper. I was careful to sanitize everything since the finished product is about 11% ABV, not enough to kill all the nasties. Flip tops work well too, though a 1L bottle is a bit much for an evening! :D

My FIL loves to drink this stuff by the gallon. :drunk::drunk::drunk:

I made a big batch of this but the sugar content was WAY Higher than your recipe...tasted GREAT ( brown sugar and white sugar) but the sugar was so high it gave me a syomach acvhe every time I tried to drink it...ALSO everclear isn't available everywhere so I used very high alcohol vodka...tasted GOOD...as for storage. just buy a couple cases of pint mason jars. Put a piece of cinnamon in each one and fill it up....works like a charm.

Back