Anyone seen the Borat movie??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdwj

Reaction score
If not, I HIGHLY suggest you go. SWMBO and I went yesterday and I don't think we stopped laughing the entire time. Having a few brews before you go (and bringing a couple in) helps too!

Wow...we went last night and I thought it was lame. I laughed a few times but I actually felt kind of sorry for some of the people he was punking in the movie. You could tell a lot of it wasn't scripted.

He certainly left no stone unturned, that is for sure.

I wonder how many times he got arrested? The hotel scene and the dinner party had police involved, right?

I'm with the "meh" crowd. It had a few laugh-out-loud moments, but there were a lot of dull bits in between. I am amazed at how openly bigoted a lot of people are. I spent a lot of the movie cringing.

I haven't seen it yet, but plan to over the T-day weekend. I like his show, the Ali G show, so i'm looking forward to it.

Regarding the bigotry, I heard that he makes fun of Jews (among others), but that Sacha Cohen himself is Jewish, and when Borat is supposedly speaking (Khazaki?) in the movie, he is actually speaking Hebrew.
I'm not saying his jokes are right or wrong, as I said, I haven't yet seen the film.

ayrton said:
I'm with the "meh" crowd. It had a few laugh-out-loud moments, but there were a lot of dull bits in between. I am amazed at how openly bigoted a lot of people are. I spent a lot of the movie cringing.

Exactly my feelings as well. I don't often laugh out loud at a movie, but I did a couple times, the rest kinda drags along. He's funnier in 5-10minute clips.

Okay, I saw the movie and I thought it was great. He reminded me a bit of Tom Green, but funnier and more talented.

He definitely is provocative, but if you notice, most of his encounters are with things/people that are ridiculous in American culture. Without giving too much away, I'll just mention examples such as the rodeo racist, the church service, the frat boys, the South secession mentality, and the "gangsters". As an actor/comedian (artist), I think it is his way of exposing that.

That said, there were a couple parts I thought were a little ridiculous (i.e. naked wrestling).

If you haven't seen it, I recommend it, but keep an open mind.
And don't take your mother!:D

Edit: "Very Nice!" (Borat accent)

I think as a work of comedy it's fair. As a work of cultural ideas, it's great. Let those colors shine through America!

Back