reduce hops for full boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I did try to search for this answer but in all honesty there is so much info on this site that it takes forever to sift through it - so if the answer was out there, I apologize for the repeat.

According to the general directions on my Northern Brewers instruction sheet, if I choose to do a full boil vs. a partial boil I am supposed to reduce the bittering hops by 15% to 25%. Is this the general consensus of the forum? I prefer a hoppy beer and my next batch will be an American Pale Ale. Should I just follow the instructions or go for the gusto?

I also just harvested about an ounce of Cascade hops from my back yard and I'm thinking of dry hopping in secondary with these - same question, what do you think?

Yep, going for a full boil will increase your utilization, so you don't need as much for bittering, which means you can save them for later in the boil and get more hop flavor for your hop dollar. Check out this site, which is handy if you don't have brewing software, though I'll say that BeerSmith was the best investment I've made in my brewing in a long time, and it's not much cash. It's helpful to get a better idea of how your bitterness will come out.

As for the cascades, dry hopping is a good use for them.

When you say save them for later in the boil, what exactly does that mean? Do I ad the remaining 15-25% just before flame out? Here's the recipe

Specialty Grains
* 1 lbs. Dingemans Caramel Pils
Fermentables
* 6 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup
Boil Additions
* 2 oz. Cascade (60 min)
* 1 oz. Cascade (1 min)

* Safale US-05. Optimum temperature: 59-75° F.

i would hold off and only use 1 oz at 60min, and spread out the other 2 ounces at 30 and 10 min

Edit: I feel that 2 oz at 60 minutes, while that would be perfectly fine if you like more bitter beers. But if you want more hop flavor and aroma, u want to add those later in the boil.

John Palmer's how to brew has a great section about hop additions which i highly suggest reading!
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-1.html

just glad to help!

Cascade is an awesome aroma hop and I wouldn't want you to lose all the deliciousness if you use 2 oz for a full 60 minutes. The longer you boil, the more aroma is lost. If you want to bitter your beer, great hops like magnum, columbus, and chinook are typically used (depending on the style of course).

you may even want to save 1 ounce for dry hopping if you have a secondary vessel.

Back