Understanding effiency....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand how to change receipes depending on the different effiencies...
I just don't know how to figure out mine...

Best to use some brewing software:

Basically each pound of malt has an extract potential. Say, 2-row has about 36 points per pound, per gallon. So ONE pound in ONE gallon at 100% eff. would be an OG of 1.036

If you had 70% eff. in that same gallon, youd have an OG of 1.025

SO, if you have 10 pounds of 2-row, that is 360 potential points of gravity in ONE gallon. If you are making 5 gallons you divide that by 5... that is 1.072 if you have 100% eff. Say your OG is actually 1.050 in 5 gallons with 10 pounds of 2 row... that is 50/72 which is 70% eff.

Brewing software helps, but it can be done with a little math by hand.

It is your ACTUAL OG divided by the POTENTIAL OG of the brew. Each malt has a specific # of points/lb. Most are between 34 and 36 points, meaning 1.034 to 1.036 per pound of malt, in one gallon, at 100% eff.

You will get about 70% of the total as a good starting point.

I guess the thing I didn't understand was how to figure out the 100% effiency point number..I get it now...
You guys are a great help..I have really bad ADHD and some times it is hard for me when it gets too technical..

I guess the thing I didn't understand was how to figure out the 100% effiency point number..I get it now...
You guys are a great help..I have really bad ADHD and some times it is hard for me when it gets too technical..

Quick math is my strong suit, I am used to calcualting fuel needed and fuel burns while getting bounced in a holding pattern over the Rockies when they shut down Denver ;) You have to be right, and you have to be fast!

Looking forward to hearing about a successful brew day!

Quick math is my strong suit, I am used to calcualting fuel needed and fuel burns while getting bounced in a holding pattern over the Rockies when they shut down Denver ;) You have to be right, and you have to be fast!

Looking forward to hearing about a successful brew day!

Note to self - I hope Pol's flying when I'm in a holding pattern over the Rockies when they shut down Denver....

Back