First time using yeast cake from another batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckfoot

Reaction score
Thinking of whipping up some of BigKahuna's Reindeer Fuel Stout (Here) and was curious if it is advisable to use the yeast cake from EdWort's Haus Pale Ale I have cold crashing for the time being?... Used Nottie for the pale ale and I think that BigK's recipe calls for US-05...

Thoughts? Things to be aware of? Good recipes for chicken curry? Advice on any of life's problems?

Thanks in advance...

:mug:

What is your S.G. on the Pale ale? If it's not huge, which I'm assuming it's not, and you think the yeast is ok give it a shot.

I love re-using a yeast cake. If you don't have a few gallons of dead space in your primary make sure you have a blowoff.

+1, I pitch on cakes whenever I can, got 6 batches out of wlp004 (Irish Ale) before I retired it. If want you a different yeast to try I harvested 9 quarts of wlp013 (London Ale) slurry from my stout fermenters yesterday. ;) Then you could pitch another IPA on the 05 at the same time.

+1 on watching for blow off. I have hops and crud on the walls and ceiling I can show you when you pick up the carboys..

BTW, your carboys will be ready tomorrow. I'm screwed into downtown today, but tomorrow I'll rack to kegs. ;)

Provided that the cake isn't coming from a high OG (over 1.055 or so) and/or a high IBU (over 50 or so) brew, you can certainly pitch on an existing cake.

You can also go here to calculate how much of the slurry to pitch if you don't want to use the entire cake.

Like I mentioned, the cake is left over from a batch of EdWort's Haus Pale Ale...

1.053 OG and 39 IBU's....

Game on then... Let it finish cold crashing, get some specialties and we are in biddness...

Thanks kids!!!

ps: p4ck37, I can pick those carboys up either tomorrow evening or sometime over the weekend... pm me when is the best time...

Crock pot/slow cooker:

sauteed onion, garlic
shredded leftover chicken or diced, browned fresh chicken
fresh cilantro (handful will do ya)
white wine
small dash of apple cider vinegar
several spoons of curry
healthy dose of coriander
small spoon of tumeric
dash of cumin
red pepper if you like it hot
add lentils and cover with water or chicken broth