Sierra Neveda Colne- Hop schedule mess up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgreenbrew

Reaction score
This is my second batch and i decided to a Sierra Neveda colne. The receipe called for:

10lbs of 2 row
.75 lb of Caramel 60

.75 oz of Chinook (45min)
.75 oz of Perle (20min)
2 oz of Cascade (0 min)

Safale us05

However when I got my wort to boil I accidently put my 2oz of Cascade in. :eek: Realizing this after the fact I just figured that this will be my bittering hops and will need to readjust my hop schedule accordingly. So next I put .75oz of Chinook (45min) (correctly). Lastly I used German Perle in the last 2 min of the boil as my finishing hops + 1 teaspoon of Irish Moss (missed the timing on that one too).

Is this going to my beer tase bad?
Is it going to be anything like a Sierra Nevda?

I doubt it will taste bad, i put this is beersmith and looks like your bitterness will be on the high-end with less hoppiness than the recipe calls for but should still be ok, you could try dry hopping it. I am a novice so, this is my un-educated guess :)

I think that it will be pretty bitter, and certainly won't be a clone of SNPA. Who knows, you may stumble onto something that you love. One thing I would suggest is possibly dry hopping it to get some more Flavor and Aroma in there. Maybe with 1-2oz's of Cascade if you have it, or you could do a blend of Chinook and Cascade. Hope it turns out well for you.:mug:

Thanks for your insight and ideas.

So still being new to this this is what I will do.

After 2 weeks I will rack over to a secondary and place 2oz of cascade in a nylon bag and place that in the secondary for another 2 weeks.
Then bottle the beer and wait 2 weeks. Then we shall see

Another question: Beersmith says to use 4.42oz of sugar when bottling, I was thinging on using 5oz will that make much of a difference? I don't want any bottle bombs.

I used to ignore priming calcs and prime with 5 OZ corn. My last 2 batches were waaaay over carbed. Finally figured out that the last of the jet dry had found its way out of the dishwasher. I use the dishwasher sanitize cycle to pre sterilize the bottles the night before. Now I use Mr. Malty carb calculator, Just plug in the style, and the sugar source batch size and batch temp and the priming quantity pops out the other end. FYI, my over carbed bottles were not overpressurized. Open a bottle and still get a little cart fart. Still trying to get my head around that.

I think your plan is a good one. You should be good with 4.5-5oz of priming sugar, it just depends on how many volumes of carbonation you want in your beer. I carb all my beers to 2.5 volumes. When I bottled I always used about4.5oz of Corn sugar, give or take.

For style, technically your out of the Pale Ale range, just based on the IBU's, but that's just according to the spec's of the beer. I calculate your IBU's to be at 96, based on an OG of 1.055. But it really depends on what it tastes like, if it tastes like a Pale Ale, then it's a Pale Ale.

I was thinking about re-using the yeast cake left in the bottom in my fermentor to brew another beer. I was thinking about doing the Sierra Neveda colne correctly this time or possible a Bells Oberon Clone.

Do you see any problems with this?

People have a lot of success doing that, but you don't need the whole thing. I would suggest just using 1/2 to 1 cup of the cake for your next brew, depending on what your OG will be.

Just get the cake mixed up real well, then pour off what you need into a sanitized container. Then clean and sanitize your fermenter, Rack your wort and pitch the yeast. You should be good to go.:mug:

This is my second batch and i decided to a Sierra Neveda colne. The receipe called for:

10lbs of 2 row
.75 lb of Caramel 60

.75 oz of Chinook (45min)
.75 oz of Perle (20min)
2 oz of Cascade (0 min)

Safale us05

However when I got my wort to boil I accidently put my 2oz of Cascade in. :eek: Realizing this after the fact I just figured that this will be my bittering hops and will need to readjust my hop schedule accordingly. So next I put .75oz of Chinook (45min) (correctly). Lastly I used German Perle in the last 2 min of the boil as my finishing hops + 1 teaspoon of Irish Moss (missed the timing on that one too).

Is this going to my beer tase bad?
Is it going to be anything like a Sierra Nevda?

Sounds like Good Beer to me. Might be a little off from Sierra Nevada, but it will be all your own and still BEER.

How about you tell us how it comes out?
-Mac

That sounds like a good beer, better then SN. It is close to my house ale (drinking it now actually), that was a spin off of sierra nevada. I dry hop with an oz of cascade. I'm no hop head, but now when I drink SN when I'm out, it seems kinda mild. Yours should have more flavor with the 60 & that much pale malt (I use 20 & 10)
Enjoy,

Heyhey, my first post:mug: I think we should all drink to that:rockin:

Well Fermentation has come to a slow bubble. For the past week I have been fermenting at 68-70 degrees. I will be heading out to my HBSS for my 1oz of Cascade (i am also growing cascade too bad it not summer yet). I think I will rack off into a secondary on either Friday or Sunday depending on time.

Now that I have my safale05 cake at the bottom I need some suggestions on what I should brew next reusing that yeast???

You might want to taste it coming out of the primary. If it is too bitter could let it mellow out in the secondary for a month or 2. Then dry hop it at that point.

If it were me, I'd dry hop the crap out of it and make it an IPA. But if you're not that big a fan of hops, you should be good anyway. If it doesn't make muster for you, bottle it and keep it around and hope it mellows, cook with it, or give it to friends.

So I have finally decided what I will be doing for my next beer.
It will be a Fat Tire Clone

5lb of Munich
4.8 lb of 2 row
1 lb of Victory
8 oz of Biscuit
4.8 oz of Crystal 90L

.8 oz Northern brewer @ 60min
.6 oz Hallertauer @ 15 min
.25 oz of Willamette @ 5 min

Safale us05
:mug:

There is no way I could wait a month or two! I drank four or five flat IPAs on my last batch in anticipation.. hahahaha Now, I have fabed up a pseudo force carb system so I can sortof enjoy a beer before its time.

What can I say, I'm a bad grasshopper.

I'd like to try this beer. Sounds like you've made something cool.

Phat Tire clone from BYO

6lbs 2 row Pale
0.50 lb. crystal malt (20° Lovibond)
0.50 lb. crystal malt (40° Lovibond)
0.50 lb. carapils malt
0.50 lb. Munich malt
0.50 lb. biscuit malt
0.50 lb. chocolate malt
3 AAUs Willamette pellet hops (0.66 oz. at 4.5% alpha acid)
1.33 AAUs Fuggle pellet hops (0.33 oz. at 4% alpha acid)
2 AAUs Fuggle pellet hops (0.50 oz. at 4% alpha acid)
1 tsp. Irish moss

Wyeast 1056

Mash at 154 with 9 quarts for 45 min
Sparge with 170 water for 5.5 gallons pre boil

You know that it will be a drinkable beer once it matures. The question will be what did what? In my previous batch I forgot to dry hop in the fermenter so I put them into the racking bucket.

I've been drinking a bottle of beer every day from the time it was bottled to study the progression in the bottle over a month period. Stuff that I thought was awful in the beginning is turning out to my liking.

Tonight I'm making two pots of red beans. In one the beans are boiled straight out of the bag. In the other I'm letting it soak at room temperature just until they begin to sprout. You got it: Malted beans, ha ha. I never knew why they presoaked beans before I started brewing.

Knowledge builds upon knowledge.

so after 2 weeks in the bottle I have tired so of my creation.
Good: Color and smell are great. I can really pick up on the Dry Hopped Cascade. Good head retention.
Bad: Little on the bitter side, I wish I would have used 2 ozs of Dry hops to counter the bitterness.

*on a side note* I used the correct amount of priming sugar i think about 4 oz but the beer is not very carbinated. Once i bottled the beer i placed it in my basement on a wooden shelf. Since I love in Ohio I figured this was a good place to store and condition my beer. I would say the temp in the basement is in the mid 60's.

What gives?

Hey Guys,
I live here in Oz and on my 3 rd BRIAB batch. I presently have 23L in my fermenter and looking to dry hop for the first time. I have 90g of Nelson Saaz hop flowers I would like to use, I love the stuff but will it be too much in the batch? How long should I dry hop for when should I put it in once my bubbler has stopped? Any suggestions cheers?

Back