ghetto brew setups?...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And to think I started this thread out of curiosity. Just wanted to see how many other cheapsk-I mean minimalists there are out there.
We are not alone...:D

Thought I'd add one of my ghetto setups.

Gotta love metal sawhorses. I tried bricks, but I couldn't get the right height. I used this method for 20+ batches. I've now moved on to more, stable means... lol

brew1.jpg

I used to do 10gallon batches this way too. But with all the heat and weight, the sides of the sawhorses started to bow.

IXVolt said:
Thought I'd add one of my ghetto setups.

Gotta love metal sawhorses. I tried bricks, but I couldn't get the right height. I used this method for 20+ batches. I've now moved on to more, stable means... lol

I used to do 10gallon batches this way too. But with all the heat and weight, the sides of the sawhorses started to bow.

Looks legit to me. I have pretty much the bare minimum to do all grain. I wish I had a keggle. At least I finally have a wort chiller coming.

Looks like that keg carried some brew worthy of craft brewing. Gunna have to get some SNPA for tonight. Also gotta take a couple 12 pack boxes to put in the fridge for next weekend.:ban:
http://http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss71/unionrdr/brwcrnr1.jpg Just an updated pic of my current set up. finally got enough small,sturdier boxes for my beers,& everything in one place. Empties on the left,full ones on the right. Not pretty,but functional.

Well,merry Christmas everybody! May santa bring us all new brewing toys,& may we all get more ghetto engineering in the new year!! I'm gunna go see if momma's ready to crack those ales...:tank:

I brewed on this for 6+ years. This picture is just before boiling so the Home Depot MLT is on the driveway for hosing out... I saved my pennies and built a RIMS system (3 years) but I still brew with my cooler and pot once in a while. It has a certain appeal the RIMS can't duplicate.
First_Brew_060108_004.jpg

I brewed on this for 6+ years. This picture is just before boiling so the Home Depot MLT is on the driveway for hosing out... I saved my pennies and built a RIMS system (3 years) but I still brew with my cooler and pot once in a while. It has a certain appeal the RIMS can't duplicate.
First_Brew_060108_004.jpg

6 years of brewing and your cinderblocks still look brand new.... how do you do that?

looks like a nice setup to me!

Well,here we are in the new year. I've been weeding out all the short bottles & getting rid of the big,ungainly boxes I was using. I now have the small,sturdier 12 pack boxes for my bottles. Makes for a smaller stack of empties. Gotta de-label the new long neck replacements for those short ones,some of which don't work well with a wing capper.
I also got a spray wand from Midwest for Christmas that hooks to the sink. That should cut 5 days or more from my FV cleaning time. Got som Sunny D gallon jugs for my starsan & PBW solutions that're heavier than milk jugs for this purpose. Just need some kind of cart to wheel the FV's & kettles/buckets of water back & forth.

I love this thread. I get so jealous looking at all the stainless high dollar DIY set up threads that always seem to end "I'm a master welder/electrician/carpenter/ mechanical-electrical engineer. "

Yay for us average joes who still brew great beer.

I'll have to take a pick of my floating styrofoam/al.-foil lid for BIAB in my 4 gallon stock pot. It has paperclip handles.

Not super ghetto but I still need to use the aluminum foil for a wind shield..... also made an apfelwein (EdWort's) while I was waiting for the boil....
IMAG0478.jpg

3508401075_db693cd21c_b.jpg

Old pic, but basically the same. Only difference is a newerish burner which I still balance on the water container.

If you're not fermenting in a room temperature closet, cranking your mill by hand, and split-boiling on the stovetop because it starts raining, you're not ghetto.

This is my 'garage' for keeping the weather off.

Photo0020.jpg

Went from this:
setup.jpg

To this:
setup1.jpg

setup2.jpg

I'm looking into a harbor freight welder and some 1 1/4" angle iron for either a gravity stand or a single tier with pumps. I dont want pumps because I'm not into "fancy" stuff.

I just want to make good beer and be able to drink good beer while doing it.

I dont want pumps because I'm not into "fancy" stuff.

I just want to make good beer and be able to drink good beer while doing it.

I got a pump because it makes it easier on brew day... easier means I can drink more homebrew while brewing without screwing everything up :)

Here's my ghetto cooler setup. Copper IC in the kettle hooked to a recirc pond pump in a bucket. Refill bucket till 100 degrees, then run outlet back into same bucket with ice and ice packs. All eater goes in my washer.

ForumRunner_20120219_142103.jpg

6 years of brewing and your cinderblocks still look brand new.... how do you do that?

looks like a nice setup to me!

Thanks. I'm a clean freak. But to be fair, those blocks were new that day. I had a bunch more at the time because I was building a wall next to the house. Funny you noticed that. I had just stained the concrete patio too. It needs a fresh coat now as most of the brown is gone.

toolboxdiver said:
Here is my Man Cave and Getto Brew Rig I'll be working on the Keezer colar next the 3rd pic is from last summer when I was using my Jockey Box, I use it for parties now

GADZOOKS!!! This looks like an east coast ghetto brew. Preston & Steve calendars are always a welcomed addition to any man cave!

Yup! Free is the hallmark of the ghetto setup. Like roady said,everything works ya let it!...Case in point; http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss71/unionrdr/brwcrnr1.jpg
Old large printer stand now fermenter stand & storage unit. Craft beer 12 pack boxes for recycled bottle storage & conditioning beer on right. Homer cheapo bucket for cleaning bottles,hauling water to clean FV's,etc. Half gallon plastic vodka jugs for blow off jugs. Sunny-D jugs for gallons of starsan & PBW,A third one now with graduations for measuring water. Brew kettle storage as well. Everything in one place. It ain't purtty,but it works.

The amber's pretty good too. But the fireside nut brown went real well with my wife's pecan pie. I like the Lienenkugel's 12 pack boxes because they have seperators in them. And closing tabs to hold the flaps down as well. Great for storing bottles or conditioning full ones. We got another batch going now to fill some more of them.
I just like having all my brewing stuff in one place. Real handy for recycled furniture.

IMAG0675.jpg

best picture i have now... it was all brand new wood though.. function over form, right?

Here's my set up from my last brew. Works well.

Ok, I just have to say that anyone with any Blichmann product does not qualify for a "Ghetto brew setup." You sir, have a sweet boilermaker kettle.

I'd go as far to say that anyone with a SS kettle is disqualified from this thread.

Back