Might be selling a bunch of gear motors, could work great for grain mills

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerfBrew

Reaction score
I'm an occasional lurker here on the forums. But I recently had an idea I wanted to share.

The company I work for has a lot, like 20-30, of Bodine Model 6182 gear motors that we are looking to liquidate. We are trying to find ways to get rid of them. I was realizing that it might make a good grain mill motor.

Here are some of the specs:
Max Speed: 86 RPM
Peak Torque: 212 in-lbs
Rated Torque: 75 in-lbs
Rated Voltage/Current: 90 V / 1.4 A

The power is provided by a 0784 driver board which would be included. The driver board is powered by 115 VAC input and provides the power to the motor. With an included potentiometer, it the speed can be adjusted anywhere from zero to max. Also the driver board enables you to set limits to the torque, speed, and acceleration/deceleration.

I mentioned it to the COO, and he seemed receptive to the idea that we could sell them to individuals. I don't have final approval yet, but I think it would be pretty easy to convince them of it.

So, are any of y'all interested in a motor like this for your mill? If you are, let me know, and if you wanted to let me know what you'd pay for it, that might help me figure out if it is worth our time.

Here is the info on the motor and driver,
Motor

Driver

We'd sell them as a package, motor and driver together, as the motors are pretty much useless without the driver.

20-30$ each if they are in new condition is about the going surplus rate

I'm interested at the right price... So this would be everything needed? Or does one need a knowledge of programming and other hardware?

20-30$ each if they are in new condition is about the going surplus rate

IMO, the market value of a used DC Bodine gear motor w/controller would be about $75-100. Without the controller, the going prices would be much lower and they would be more difficult to sell.

kincade said:
I'm interested at the right price... So this would be everything needed? Or does one need a knowledge of programming and other hardware?

No programming is necessary. You'd need to provide a power cord or wire it into 115 VAC power. You'd probably also need some kind of enclosure to mount the driver inside of (to cover the live parts for safety). You'd also most likely want to mount A switch (not included) and the potentiometer (included) into said enclosure.

Let me know the price and I may be interested. Kinda bummed about the board being needed. Does it include a capacitor to jump start and power through the grains?

Seems the Surplus store has a 105rpm drive w/ cap for $40.

sj_engr said:
Let me know the price and I may be interested. Kinda bummed about the board being needed. Does it include a capacitor to jump start and power through the grains?

Seems the Surplus store has a 105rpm drive w/ cap for $40.

No need for any capacitor or any other electronics, other than what I outlined in an earlier response. That is what the driver does. You can even set the acceleration so that it slowly comes up to speed to be nice and gentle on your equipment. And you can set a torque limit so that you don't break your equipment in the event that you have a problem (i.e. something jams in the rollers).

These motors are built to run machinery that would be turned on all day, every day. If you put one on a mill, you'd never need to replace it.

I would definitly be interested in one - I agree that the price would be around $75.

Ok. In the interest of cutting this off before demand can outstrip supply, I'm gonna stop things now.

I wanted to gauge interest, and it seems there is some. When I have talked to the boss and have a price and an idea of how we'll handle shipping, I'll post back.

I'll probably figure out a way to make sure those of you that have already expressed interest get first shot, to make sure you don't miss out.

No programming is necessary. You'd need to provide a power cord or wire it into 115 VAC power. You'd probably also need some kind of enclosure to mount the driver inside of (to cover the live parts for safety). You'd also most likely want to mount A switch (not included) and the potentiometer (included) into said enclosure.

Perfect. Sounds excellent, keep me in the loop.

I have a need for 2-3 depending on the pricing. Once available are you updating this thread, or opening a new one?

Ok. If you are interested, just subscribe to the thread. I'll post an update when I get approval to proceed.

There won't be anything happening until Monday at the soonest, as I'm off for the weekend.

I'm interested as well, pending the final price. Thanks!

STOP! Don't send me another private message about these motors. Like I said, nothing will happen until at least Monday. And posting more stuff here doesn't mean anything to me.

At this point, I'm not even keeping track of who posts and how many motors they want. I don't want the hassle of it. If this turns into a big ordeal for me to take care of, I'll just put them on eBay and let y'all sort it out.

So, are any of y'all interested in a motor like this for your mill? If you are, let me know

STOP! ... And posting more stuff here doesn't mean anything to me.

At this point, I'm not even keeping track of who posts and how many motors they want. I don't want the hassle of it. If this turns into a big ordeal for me to take care of, I'll just put them on eBay and let y'all sort it out.

???

(oh yea, put me on the list)

Well, I hope I didn't get you guys too excited for nothing. I have relayed the interest that you all expressed. I'm sure they'll be selling these motors, I'm just not sure when, or how.

I'll let you guys know here as soon as I hear something, but as of right now, I'm not sure how quick they'll move on this.

Sorry for any frustration.

Is anyone actually reading the OP's posts? <sigh>

OP, as the third poster I'll keep watching for your updates. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

The @ss kissing is a little much.

There is no @ss kissing here, unless you call manners by some other name. I don't really care one way or another, my dewalt works fine and I already own it. It's just funny that every time he posts the replies ignore his last post.

Op, never mind. Not worth the drama. Thanks for giving us the heads up.

I've been shopping for a similar motor for two weeks.. So add me to your list.. If and when you get around to setting a price and selling them....

Back