bad crush fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbulger

Reaction score
Out of time constraints i had to switch my LHBS and i got a horrble crush. 11 pounds of grain for 5.5 gallons and i ended up with 1.03 OG, ****. I have four pounds of priming sugar, do you guys think it would be okay to add some before this starts fermenting to boost the gravity a bit? I know its not the best addition but with such a low gravity it may be dumped anyways. Also how much would i add to bosst up ten points or so?

tbulger said:
Out of time constraints i had to switch my LHBS and i got a horrble crush. 11 pounds of grain for 5.5 gallons and i ended up with 1.03 OG, ****. I have four pounds of priming sugar, do you guys think it would be okay to add some before this starts fermenting to boost the gravity a bit? I know its not the best addition but with such a low gravity it may be dumped anyways. Also how much would i add to bosst up ten points or so?

That doesn't sound right at all. You either got a TERRIBLE crush, or your mash/sparge were terribly wrong. I'd go talk to the purveyer of the crush and let him know he needs to adjust his settings.

Just put a pound in and boil the hell out if it.
Go for less but better beer.
Nothing wrong with a light session beer

Better than a crap strong beer any day.

thanxs for the advice, it was his crush or lack there of. I caught him a minute after he closed and he let me in and we were both in a rush, when i got home i looked at it and most of the grain was in whole form and it was half crushed i watched him crush it but something must have been wrong i will never go back again though.

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
You don't necessarily get crap beer from adding sugar. If that was the case, no one would ever drink a trappist.

You're right.
If it's to style and you know what you're doing or following a recipe.

Chucking loads of sugar in a light beer to up the ABV will give you a crap beer though.

I do add sugar to some of my AG to get the style and flavour required but only 1lb max.

If he uses a ton then yeah,but not if he keeps it to less than 15% of the recipe.

BMC type beers use around 40% glucose syrup now. Not that you want to make one of those beers (shudders at the mere thought). So 10-15% sugar isn't all that bad.

Keep in mind is OG may have been light but his hopping was proably kept the same.

I was just trying to fix the 40% effeciency a little bit. I just used a pound like orfy said. Didnt take a gravity reading so im just going to leave it alone for a while now. THanks for the tips.

Latest posts

Back