Used 2 packs of bad yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willtest

Reaction score
Hi,
So I made some beer(Fat Tire Ale) on Sunday and added to fermentation bucket. As of yesterday there was still no signs of fermentation. I talked to a buddy of mine and pitched another pack of yeast - Nottingham.
Just this morning I read on this forum about bad batches of Notty. So I go downstairs and check the pak. Both packs that I put in had an expiration date of 2009.
My question is can I buy some fresh yeast and pitch a third time or am I just screwed?

Thanks,
Will

Give the bucket a couple shakes... wait 24 more hours. If still nothing... buy a fresh pack of yeast.

Side note, what was your OG?

Edit: When did you pitch the 2nd pack of yeast?

And I just realized you said the packs had an expiration date of 2009... I was thinking created on date or something, haha.

FYIW, the Notty recall was for Lot #1081140118V with an exp. in 2011 or something. So I don't think you had recalled yeast... just old yeast :)

Definitely give it another 24 hours from time you pitched the second pack... maybe 48 hours if you have patience :)

So there is absolutely zero activity in the airlock?

Yeah no activity in the airlock. I will take reading when I get home this evening

Is there much chance that although the expiration date expired that the yeast may still be good? Maybe it's taking awhile to get started?

Back