All Grain Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DShoaf

Reaction score
I have been brewing for a year. Extract kits and partial mashes. All grain just seems to be the next logical step for me. This is what I have: I have a 10 gal brew kettle with top, a 5 gal brew kettle with top, One propane burner. I need to make a mash tun and I am going to construct one from an igloo cooler. The problem for me is that the process of all grain brewing is stilll a little hazy to me. I really want to make some all grain batches soon and on you tube I found a plan for a mash tun that costs under 30 bucks. I am hopeing that someone on here can give me instructions for the all grain process, keeping in mind my equiptment. Thanks for the help.

I suggest reading through some of the stickies:

Here

As far as equipment, you'll love the cooler as a MLT. If you're building it yourself, definitely go w/ a 10g in case you want to upgrade at some point (and you will...trust me).

Your 10g kettle will work fine for 5g batches and the 5g kettle will be nice to have around for heating strike/sparge water.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but that should at least get you started. Oh and one last thing...just jump in and do it. I was really intimidated by the process at first, but after getting a batch or two under my belt I realized how simple it really is. You'll probably make a few small mistakes but in the end you'll still have made beer. :)

I'll echo the recommendation for a cooler MLT, or if you wanna try it even simpler, make a large fine mesh bag and give brew-in-a-bag a try

I find that after reading a lot about something it helps to "see" what I've been reading about. For this, youtube is a valuable resource. Assuming you are watching videos made by people who know what they are doing. :D

If you are still hazy on the process, I recommend that you watch all eight of chris knight's videos.

watch

Bobby also has some excellent info on his videos:

watch

And, If I might humbly suggest: I've also made a video of my process. (Or at least what my process used to be before I updated my equipment a little.)

watch

I am looking at getting a 10 gallon brew kettle and converting my current 8 gallon brew kettle into my HLT. My 10 gallon MLT will then be my mainstay...will be selling my 5 gallon MLT when that day comes.

Up next for purcase is a March Pump...but not quite yet...need to move into a house first

Thanks for the help, between the stickies and the videos I think I am going to jump into all grain. I am sure I will be back with questions, but thanks again.

all grain is actually pretty darn easy. Its more stuff to worry about- but once you have the right equipment which can be made super easily- its not very difficult and so much more enjoyable.

Back