Highland Brewing Gaelic Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Look what I found!

December 2002 BYO Magazine:

"Gaelic Ale is a crossbreed of Scottish ale and American amber. It has the higher original gravity and intense maltiness of a Scottish ale, but the higher hop bittering level of a typical American amber. The yeast ferments to a low final gravity to bring the malt flavor into balance. Briess malts and American hops make this beer truly American."

Highland Gaelic Ale clone (5 gal/19 l)
OG = 1.056, FG = 1.013, IBUs = 30-32, ABV = 5.6%

3.3 lbs Briess light liquid malt extract
2 lbs Briess light dry malt extract
1.5 lbs Briess Munich malt (10L)
0.5 lb Briess crystal 60L
1 lb Briess crystal 40L
0.25 lb Briess Extra Special malt

8 AAU Chinook bittering hops (0.75 oz of 12.0% alpha)
2.5 AAU Willamette aroma hops (0.5 oz of 5.0% alpha)
2.9 AAU Cascade aroma hops (0.5 oz of 5.8% alpha)

1 tsp Irish moss
White Labs WLP001 California Ale -or- Wyeast 1056 American Ale
0.75 cups corn sugar (priming)

Steep the crushed specialty malts in 3 gal of water at 150F for 30 min. Remove grains from wort. Add malt syrup, dry malt extract, and bring to a boil. Add Chinook bittering hops, Irish moss, and boil for 60 min. Add Willamette and Cascade aroma hops at the end of the boil, and let steep for two min. When done boiling, strain out the hops, add the wort to 2 gal of cool water in a sanitary fermenter, and top off with cool water to 5.5 gal. Cool the wort to 80F, heavily aerate the beer, and pitch your yeast. Allow the beer to cool over the next few hours to 64-66F, and hold at these cooler temperatures until the yeast has fermented completely. Bottle your beer, and age for two to three weeks.

All-grain: Replace the light LME and DME with 6.0 lbs Briess pale malt and increase the Munich malt to 2.75 lbs. Mash all grains at 150F for 60 min to achieve high fermentability. Collect enough wort to boil for 90 min and have a 5.5 gal yield. Lower the amount of the Chinook bittering hops to 0.6 oz to account for higher alpha acid extraction of a full boil.

I'm going to goof around with the recipe a bit I think. I'm at least going to change the yeast to the one we used in the IHA batch. The scottish ale yeast. I do enough stuff with 1056 to know that would be too boring for a brew like this. I was really surprised at that yeast selection.

Another surprise...chinook? I love Chinook hops and I didn't detect that yesterday at all. Either I had severe palate degeneration or I was really buzzed good. I thought it was way too smooth for Chinook.

I like it though. I wanna do something like this.

Walker-san said:
I have never even heard of this and I'm sure my LHBS doesn't carry it. I'll probably have to mail order it.

I also searched that....What I've found so far is that it might be hard to get--but it can be substituted with Special B. Sounds reasonable.

Dude said:
it can be substituted with Special B. Sounds reasonable.

Sweet. I have 3/4 lb of Special B in the freezer right now.

As a matter of fact, the only thing I do NOT have on hand already is the Munich.

As for the hop selection, Dude... go to their website: www.highlandbrewing.com. They list their hop varieties right there, and the three in the BYO mag are the exact ones. They also list the I BUs @ 32, so you should be able to get all of that pretty accurately.

As for the yeast choice... I used scottish ale yeast in my 80/-, and I think you are right that this recipe needs that instead of the clean taste of 1056.

Ah crap... I don't have that yeast either... BUT I was planning to do my 80/- as my next batch, so I was going to get the yeast next weekend anyway.

I think I'll drop this one in the pipeline next and follow it with my 80/-.

GAELIC BREWDATE: 5/7

-walker

Baron von BeeGee said:
Mmmm...beer...

Looks like a winner. Group brew?

Come on up! :D

Couple of questions....Walker do you use straight DME or would you split like this recipe says? (Reason I ask is I'm putting it into promash and I want to put in your preference so I can post both versions on here)

Also, I found another clone of this that is almost exact but uses WLP005 (British Ale). That would be better but I'm kind of intrigued by the Scottish Ale yeast that we talked about earlier. What is the consensus? All I know is that WLP001 would be too boring for this.

Lemme know and I'll put the final recipes in the thread.

I really like this one--I want to brew it soon.

Walker and I are talking about doing a group brew on my brewery...since I now have a keggle we can do a 10g batch AG and split it. We'll definitely be testing out two different yeasts. If Walker does the Scottish yeast, I'll try the British (Wyeast, though). Otherwise I'll just go with 1056.

yup.. what BeeGee said. Going to split an AG with him and ferment it with Scottish ale @ about 58°F.

However, to answer your question... if I ever make it again as an extract batch, I would very likely be using only DME.

-walker

Sounds good guys.

Here are the recipes in promash format--if you use promash and want the .rec file, say the word and I'll send it.
Note: the reason the OG on the AG version looks a touch low, is because I formulated it at 75% efficiency. I get a little better than that (80-85%) so I am expecting a higher OG. If not, oh well.

If you guys see any errors or want to suggest changes, I am game.

I also sent an e-mail to Highland tonight to see if they will give up any secrets. I'll let you know if they say anything.

Gaelic Ale--Highland Brewing--AG

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.75
Anticipated OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.38
Anticipated SRM: 13.9
Anticipated IBU: 31.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
55.8 6.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
27.9 3.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
9.3 1.00 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
4.7 0.50 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
2.3 0.25 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 25.9 60 min.
0.75 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 2.5 5 min.
0.75 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 2.9 5 min.

Yeast
-----
???

Single Infusion Mash @ 153° for 60 minutes

Gaelic Ale--Highland Brewing--EXTRACT

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Total Extract (Lbs): 8.25
Anticipated OG: 1.057 Plato: 14.12
Anticipated SRM: 14.5
Anticipated IBU: 30.8
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
60.6 5.00 lbs. Briess DME- Gold America 1.046 8
18.2 1.50 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
12.1 1.00 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
6.1 0.50 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
3.0 0.25 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120

Hops
0.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 25.5 60 min.
0.75 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 2.8 5 min.

Yeast
-----
???

Dudes...do you think the color is right on this? I don't recall what color it was! :)

636-gaelic.jpg

I got all the ingredients for this yesterday. Tentative Gaelic brew date is: 29 May.

Quote:
0.25 lb Briess Extra Special malt

I have never even heard of this and I'm sure my LHBS doesn't carry it. I'll probably have to mail order it.

Briess malt is just a brand name http://www.briess.com/
"Extra special malt" info can be found here http://www.briess.com/pdf/Malthouse%20Ingredients%20for%20Brewing/Extra%20Special%20Malt%20WK/PIS%20BREW%20Extra%20Special%20Malt%20WK.pdf

It's a company based out of a small town here in Wisconsin out of Chilton on Hwy 57 between Milwaukee and Green Bay

Dude said:
So whaddya think? Gonna be a good one? I'm doing mine Monday.
The wort was good...I thought the grist and the maltiness I got out of it was really nice. Have to wait and see how the hops come through once it's carbonated...really hinges on that. I used Fuggles instead of Willamette, but they're pretty close so that shouldn't really impact things.

It was also the first time I did 10g, went pretty well. Still got 78% efficiency using a mash + 2 batch sparges and the fryer had no problem getting the keggle boiling. I knocked out a Cheyco CFC in the a.m. and it had everything down to 80 by the time it drained (mine's only 20').

Baron von BeeGee said:
The wort was good...I thought the grist and the maltiness I got out of it was really nice. Have to wait and see how the hops come through once it's carbonated...really hinges on that. I used Fuggles instead of Willamette, but they're pretty close so that shouldn't really impact things.

It was also the first time I did 10g, went pretty well. Still got 78% efficiency using a mash + 2 batch sparges and the fryer had no problem getting the keggle boiling. I knocked out a Cheyco CFC in the a.m. and it had everything down to 80 by the time it drained (mine's only 20').

Cool. You need to take some pics next time you brew.

78% in a batch sparge is pretty stinking good.

A Cheyco CFC....you didn't use that gay looking blue hose like his, did you? :D

Man I wish all of you NC guys could get up here for a big long brewday!

Dude said:
Cool. You need to take some pics next time you brew.

78% in a batch sparge is pretty stinking good.

A Cheyco CFC....you didn't use that gay looking blue hose like his, did you? :D

Man I wish all of you NC guys could get up here for a big long brewday!
I've been getting in the upper 70's to low 80's ever since I built my new copper manifold and started using a 36qt cooler...this system seems to work well with batch sparges. I'll take pics next time, I always forget.

As for the chiller, no, I didn't source any gay Canadian hose (pun intended). I just used the ends of the cheap green hose I cut up. I had ~$65 invested which is a small price for the savings in time.

Maybe we can make it up this summer for a brewday...I'll be in lockdown for a while after September when my progeny pops out.

Racked this to secondary last night. Tastes a little more bitter than I was expecting, but it's always hard for me to say before it's carbonated. I was actually a little worried because I realized after brewing I hadn't bumped up my hops to account for the fact that I was using whole leaf. The malt flavor was really nice...it's definitely going to be drinkable!

And now that I have a dedicated beer fridge, this one will be kegged in a couple of weeks.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Racked this to secondary last night. Tastes a little more bitter than I was expecting, but it's always hard for me to say before it's carbonated. I was actually a little worried because I realized after brewing I hadn't bumped up my hops to account for the fact that I was using whole leaf. The malt flavor was really nice...it's definitely going to be drinkable!

And now that I have a dedicated beer fridge, this one will be kegged in a couple of weeks.

So what's the final verdict?

Thanks to Walker, I had a chance to revisit how this stuff tastes. I have to say this is an out-freaking-standing beer. I'm glad I got to try it again because it is still high on the priority list to brew. I had one the other night and you know what it kind of reminded me of? What Fat Tire used to taste like. Bready, thick, smooth, a beer you could just drink all freaking night long. I long to brew a beer like that.

So anyway, what would you change in the recipe?

Dude said:
So anyway, what would you change in the recipe?

I had some of BG's Gaelic. Color was good, but it was a little too sweet. I think he said that he would just reduce the amount of crystal if he brewed it again.

Walker-san said:
I had some of BG's Gaelic. Color was good, but it was a little too sweet. I think he said that he would just reduce the amount of crystal if he brewed it again.

So only a half pound of each?

What about dropping the mash temp? BG, what did you mash at?
I definitely noticed that the real thing is a really dry beer.

Dude said:
Gaelic Ale--Highland Brewing--EXTRACT

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Total Extract (Lbs): 8.25
Anticipated OG: 1.057 Plato: 14.12
Anticipated SRM: 14.5
Anticipated IBU: 30.8
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
60.6 5.00 lbs. Briess DME- Gold America 1.046 8
18.2 1.50 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
12.1 1.00 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
6.1 0.50 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
3.0 0.25 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120

Hops
0.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 25.5 60 min.
0.75 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 2.8 5 min.

Yeast
-----
???

Hey guys,

I brewed this today, but upped the DME to 7 lbs, cut the Crystal to 1/5lb each, upped the Chinook to 1oz, and cut the aroma hops to .5oz each. Fermenting at 68F using Wyeast 1056.

I've been undershooting OG consistently, but with 7lbs of DME I hit 1.058 (which is what BeerSmith computes). With the original BYO recipe, I would've come in around 1.043, I think.

Any idea why BeerSmith and Promash (Dude's recipe) differ so much on the amount of DME?

nosnhojr said:
Any idea why BeerSmith and Promash (Dude's recipe) differ so much on the amount of DME?

It depends on the brand. I always use the "generic" option, so I'm sure they differ quite a bit from brand to brand. I've noticed it also makes a big difference if it is LME or DME as well.

Richard, save me some for April--I'm hoping to brew it in the coming weeks--I'll bring some of mine down as well.

Dude said:
It depends on the brand. I always use the "generic" option, so I'm sure they differ quite a bit from brand to brand. I've noticed it also makes a big difference if it is LME or DME as well.

Richard, save me some for April--I'm hoping to brew it in the coming weeks--I'll bring some of mine down as well.

Definitely! My "Martin Luther Maibock" should also be ready to sample. That one should be "interesting", since Boston swapped hops on me while I wasn't looking.

Dude said:
So only a half pound of each?

What about dropping the mash temp? BG, what did you mash at?
I definitely noticed that the real thing is a really dry beer.
Guess I missed this! I would say 1/2lb of each would be about right. I generally try to follow the directions, but I'm not positive I mashed at 150F. I'd have to check my notes on my laptop.

FWIW, I thought the hop profile was pretty dang close.

As far as April goes, I think my Doppelbock will be ready so we can have a GRABASS lager tasting (if I don't drink it first). I'm going to whip something up in March for the occasion, as well. Maybe I'll do my second revision of the rye PA.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Guess I missed this! I would say 1/2lb of each would be about right. I generally try to follow the directions, but I'm not positive I mashed at 150F. I'd have to check my notes on my laptop.

FWIW, I thought the hop profile was pretty dang close.

As far as April goes, I think my Doppelbock will be ready so we can have a GRABASS lager tasting (if I don't drink it first). I'm going to whip something up in March for the occasion, as well. Maybe I'll do my second revision of the rye PA.

Sounds good. I'm also going to do a 10 gallon batch of my Red Eye Rye and bring along a 5 gallon keg of it for you NC guys to keep and maybe fight over.
Provided we don't drink it all after the fest!

Good info too Baron--I'll update the recipe here so we know the suggested changes. If you mashed at 150°, I don't think we should change that. The beer is pretty dry IMHO.

Back