spent grain cookies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjm13

Reaction score
Just wanted to share... here is a cookie recipe that I used to make some awsome spent grain cookies yesterday. It is adaped from the chocolate chip cookie recipe in Joanne Chang's Flour cookbook. The grain is left over from a black rye IPA that I brewed recently (it's still in the fermenter actually). I seperated the dark and light grains, and used only the dark grain in this recipe, but I suspect any spent grain would work. The cookies came out black and delicious! The grain gives them a chewey texture that I really like. The only issue is they are a tiny bit greasy, and they spread a little too much, so they are pretty flat. I think the grain releases a little oil, so you may want to try using 1 & 1/2 sticks of butter. (that's what I am going to do the next time I try these). I may also add a little less grain flour, and compensate with the all pourpose... Fun to experiment.
Happy to hear feedback and I hope you like them!
Cheers

To make the grain flour, deyhdrate the grain by placing on a cookie sheet in a thin layer, and placed in the oven for 4 hrs on 200F, striring about every hour or so, and breaking any clumps to be sure the grain is compleatly dry. Then mill in a coffee grinder or the like to make the flour. (a food processer will not gring the grain fine enough)

• 1 cup (2 sticks; 224 grams) unsalted butter
• ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
• ¾ cup (175 grams) light brown sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup (150 grams) all-purpose flour
• 1 cup (140 grams) spent grain flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 1 ½ cups (9 ounces; 250 grams) chopped semisweet chocolate (or chips)
• ½ cup (2.5 ounces; 70 grams) finely chopped white chocolate (or chips)

If you're baking the cookies on the same day you prepare the batter, heat the oven to 350 degrees and position a rack in the center of the oven.

Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or mixing by hand with a wooden spoon), beat the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar on medium speed until mixture is light and fluffy, about five minutes. Stop the mixer and use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and the paddle itself a few times; the sugar and butter love to collect here and stay unmixed. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract on medium speed until thoroughly combined, two to three minutes. Again scrape the bowl and the paddle to make sure the eggs are thoroughly incorporated.

Mix together the all-purpose flour, spent grain flour, baking soda and salt. Add both chocolates to the flour mix and toss to combine. Turn the mixer to low speed (or continue to use a wooden spoon if mixing by hand) and slowly blend the flour-chocolate mixture into the butter-sugar mixture. Mix until the flour and chocolate are totally incorporated and the dough is completely mixed.

For best results, scrape dough into a container and let rest in the refrigerator for a day before baking. The next day, heat the oven to 350 degrees and position a rack in the center of the oven. Drop the dough into 1 to 1 1/2" balls onto a baking sheet about two inches apart. Press dough balls down slightly with the palm of your hand. Bake until cookies are golden brown on the edges and slightly soft in the center, 10 to 12 minutes.

Just as an FYI here... Looking back at this beer I used the grain from, I was VERY low on my efficiency, so the grains were still pretty sweet. I will have to try this again the next time a brew a dark beer, now that I have a mash system that has vastly improved my efficiency, and see if there is a drastic change in the cookies....

image-2715509107.jpg

Here is a picture of the most recent batch of these. Some minor changes to the last recipe.

They aren't burnt. They are that color because the grain I used to make the spent grain flour was a combo of chocolate rye malt, and flaked rye.

How are you drying ? The grain out of the mash tun ? I suspect oven thin baking sheet at what temp / time ?

I dry mine at 200F for several hours,turning once an hour to dry evenly. Cool & store in zip lock freezer bags on the pantry shelf. The freezer bags are thicker plastic. I also bought a Mr Coffee Burr grinder with 18 dif grind settings at Walmart for $39. Put it on the espresso setting for a medium fine flour. Works way better than blade type grinders which can't grind as fine.
Another point of interest,when I made one of my 2 Berlin Wheat PM kits I went to spread the grains on cookie sheets to dry them. I gave'em a wiff,& they had a light smell of banana bread to them. They might taste pretty good in these cookies & give a lighter color.

The drying process is written out in the recipe...
I also got a burr grinder shortly after making these. It works great.

Yeah,I love how the burr grinders give a nice fine grind of flour. Easy to clean too with a 1" trim brush made of hog bristle.

Very cool! I've been looking for spent grain recipes, mainly bread, but these look awesome! How did they taste?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Very cool! I've been looking for spent grain recipes, mainly bread, but these look awesome! How did they taste?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

They were very tasty. They were a little thinner and crunchier then I would have liked, but the flavor was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back