The next batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samg

Reaction score
I done 2 batches in the run up to Christmas, while they both turned out clear and had plenty of bubbles, I can't get over the flavour of them. Both of them taste pretty much the same, and I'm using the phrase "tastes like home brew" to describe them. Its very malty and over fruity. People who've tried it say that it is nice and they've enjoyed it, but I just don't seem to be able to.

I'm hoping its just the 2 that I bought causing this, so was hoping to get some suggestions for a fairly bland (compared to what I've done so far!) IPA. I'd like something that isn't to fruity.

The 2 I've done so far:
Coopers Brewmaster India Pale Ale Beer Kit
Coopers Draught Beer Beer Kit

Please describe your process. Off the top of my head, with those two beer styles, very malty suggests to me an incomplete fermentation, and overly fruity suggests too high fermentation temperatures. However, without knowing exactly what you did on each batch, it is hard to help diagnose the problem.

I'm with Hercher. Sounds yeasty. Did you use the kit yeast? First major step up in my brewing was done by throwing out the included yeast. Next is the move to control temperature during fermentation.

I'm not sure it was malty, I'm no good at describing things. Left a kind of raw feel in my mouth, quite bitter.

I used the kit yeast, the ale brewed for 10 days in the FV and the larger for 14. Brew temps were about 24-26 for the ale and 22-24 for the larger. Ale bottled for 4 weeks and the larger for 3.

From what I've read, my temps are high (even if thats what is recommended by Coopers). So maybe a cooler brew and buy some good yeast.

Yep, way too warm. Warm fermenting temperatures like that will encourage the yeasts to produce fruity esters.

Damn. What is recommended?

Are the Coopers kits any good, or are their better ones out there? I'd like a light IPA

Yeah, those temps are high. For the ale, you should try to ferment somewhere between 17 or 18 C to about 22 C. The lager should be fermented at about half the temperature you used -- 11-15 C. (That said, lagers can be fermented in the area of 16-18 C, but your style changes -- it becomes a steam beer.)

The other thing I would note, for the lager. By fermenting at lower temperatures, you will have a slower fermentation, and you probably should have left it in bottles longer before opening.

As far as other kits, I strongly avoiding pre-hopped kits. I think you could, in essence, create your own kit by buying malt extract, hops, and fresher yeast.

Latest posts

Back