Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this recipe yesterday, and even went out and got a bottle of Saison Dupont to enjoy during the process. For my second all-grain batch, I was pretty happy. Hit my OG dead on, but I had a little trouble with post-boil volume because I guess I didn't have a hard-enough rolling boil going throughout the boil. I ended up having to go a little longer to get it down to ~5.5G. Do you all think that will have a huge effect on the hops? I added time at the end before I added the honey and pepper, and ended up going about 20min longer.

You will get more bittering from the additions, but not so much as to greatly effect the beer, come times you just need to roll with the punches

Came out absolutely phenomenal! Everyone kept saying it was the best saison they've ever had keg was tapped in 3 hours.

Used this recipe as a base with T-58 and added 4 ounces of chamomile at 5 minutes left. Don't know how different the T-58 made it, but it turned out phenomenally. Started out about 68 degrees and slowly ramped up to 80 or so. Got down to 1.003 and did it quickly. This one will be in regular rotation.

Getting ready to brew this recipe, I just have one quick question. When using the orange blossom honey do you find that it adds any flavor over using regular honey, even though it pretty much ferments out completely? I was thinking about using this awesome kiwi honey from a farmer down the road from me. If the honey adds flavor, I think kiwi would pair great with the lemon and pepper notes. But if it doesn't add flavor I won't bother since the kiwi honey is more expensive.

Thanks for the recipe!

Getting ready to brew this recipe, I just have one quick question. When using the orange blossom honey do you find that it adds any flavor over using regular honey, even though it pretty much ferments out completely? I was thinking about using this awesome kiwi honey from a farmer down the road from me. If the honey adds flavor, I think kiwi would pair great with the lemon and pepper notes. But if it doesn't add flavor I won't bother since the kiwi honey is more expensive.

Thanks for the recipe!

It is subtle that's for sure, I have brewed this with wildflower honey, mesquite honey, and orange blossom, there is a difference, but so subdued it is tough to pick up on, I might brew it with whatever is local and affordable and your next batch, maybe go for the kiwi honey.

I'm going to have a bash at this recipe this weekend.
Being in Australia, I'm not sure I'll get hold of the Sorachi Ace, but might try Centennial instead.

Question on the fermentation..

Have you tried an open fermentation on this recipe?? I'm thinking of opening it up for a few days between when the Krauzen rises and the yeast drops.
What, if any, do you think this might add?

Being in Australia, I'm not sure I'll get hold of the Sorachi Ace, but might try Centennial instead.

Question on the fermentation..

Have you tried an open fermentation on this recipe?? I'm thinking of opening it up for a few days between when the Krauzen rises and the yeast drops.
What, if any, do you think this might add?

You may introduce some natural wild bugs to the beer, that may over time sour the beer, could be a bad I fetched type flavor, could be a magical sour beer blend that develops over a few months, might be worth harvesting the yeast after that one... If it starts tasting fantastic you may have a nice wild blend to use in following beers, if it goes satans anus, the yeast could be tossed in the drain. Time will tell!

azscoob said:
You may introduce some natural wild bugs to the beer, that may over time sour the beer, could be a bad I fetched type flavor, could be a magical sour beer blend that develops over a few months, might be worth harvesting the yeast after that one... If it starts tasting fantastic you may have a nice wild blend to use in following beers, if it goes satans anus, the yeast could be tossed in the drain. Time will tell!

I'm planning to open it up in my fermentation fridge once its been sprayed put with Starsan.

Funny that Starsan is an anagram for Satan (r)

Though I've got a healthy interest in experimentation, I'd be looking to avoid satan's butthole pleasures for the time being!

Don't think I've been as excited about a brew weekend as this one in a while!!

It would be a shame (downright alcohol abuse) to ruin a great beer intentionally or by being careless. Performing an open fermentation after peak krausen in a ferm fridge exposes the beer to bacteria and wild yeasts ("bugs") even if the surfaces have been pre sanitized. As mentioned, these bugs could add wonderful complexity, acidity, sourness, etc. to a beer, or they could completely ruin it a la satan's anus infection (btw - that's a great description).

Many people leave small batches of wort out in differenct places around their house or property to see what type of bugs they have in different areas. They can then determine where satan's anus is hiding and where promising bugs reside. Different outside temperatues, times of the year, weather patterns, etc. affect the type of microflora in a particular area. In addition, if a lactobacillus or brettanomyces strain did end up in your beer, these bugs typically benefit from extended aging, so make sure you're equipped for that if needed.

I'm no expert on wild fermentation, but I have read a few articles and listened to several podcasts about the topic (basic brewing did a show with the brewer from Allagash). There's some good info in the Lambic & Wild Brewing section of this site as well if you're curious to learn more. I don't mean to burst your excitement or deter you from experimenting, just trying to set you up for success. Good luck! I hope this helps.

Yeah I am all for the open fermentation, but ins't the point of it to usually introduce good wild bugs? I cant imagine that the inside of ANY fridge houses good bugs. You need a window at a farmhouse, and not downtown metropolis on garbage night.

fishersfirst said:

I have this fermenting now.

I'm in Australia too, and couldn't get hold of Sorachi Ace. I subbed with Glacier. I'm sure Centennial would be fine too.

I'm about 2 weeks into fermentation, and the temp has been steady in the high 60's. I know it says to raise the temp to 78, but I don't have a way to do this. Will that make a huge difference? Any suggestions? When I first chose to brew this I didn't stress too much about it, but now am starting to worry about it.

bah, dont stress. The yeast strain is sensitive to temperature adjustments. Just like any other ale yeast, the lower temp it ferments at, the more subtle flavor the yeast will impart. The difference here is that a nice belgian beer has a good yeasty quality, and to get that a higher fermentation temperature is recommended. You wont get a bad beer. It'll still likey be great, just more of a clean and nuetral yeasty quality rather than a big bold spicy funk.

I was also thinking about adding either some yarrow or rose hips to this recipe when I brew it. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe.

This is my first crack at kegging. I'm hoping you see the pretty little bubbles.

[ame="http://youtu.be/lpEfPUxrJ6A"]http://youtu.be/lpEfPUxrJ6A[/ame]

Beer tastes great! Wonderful lacing and the taste kinda reminds me of Chimay.

SG: 1064
FG: 1010

I scaled this recipe to 23 liters. Kegged most of it and bottled the remainder in 500ml swing tops for extra aging as I don't think the keg will be long for this world.

Will be brewing this again very soon.

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe.

This is my first crack at kegging. I'm hoping you see the pretty little bubbles.

http://youtu.be/lpEfPUxrJ6A

Beer tastes great! Wonderful lacing and the taste kinda reminds me of Chimay.

SG: 1064
FG: 1010

I scaled this recipe to 23 liters. Kegged most of it and bottled the remainder in 500ml swing tops for extra aging as I don't think the keg will be long for this world.

Will be brewing this again very soon.
Looks great, I wanted to take a sip!

Hi, I've been lurking on this site for quite awhile, and just recently joined to start posting. I made this recipe one month ago with a couple of tweaks. I used Centennials for the battering hops, and added some lemon zest with the pepper at the end of the boil. I also used Wyeast 565 instead of 3711. It has been slowly fermenting after the normal rapid start. I did not do the temp increase after two weeks either, as I have no way to do it currently (we keep the house at 66F).

I just took a sample to test for gravity, and it was at 1.018 (1.062 start). It also tasted great. I am trying to decide whether to put it into the kegs (10 gal batch) today, or give it another two weeks to work down the gravity. My gut is to keg it now, but I would be interested to get some opinions on whether the gravity will get down to 1.012 or so, and if that will improve the beer.

I look forward to participating more on the forums, this site is fantastic.

Hi, I've been lurking on this site for quite awhile, and just recently joined to start posting. I made this recipe one month ago with a couple of tweaks. I used Centennials for the battering hops, and added some lemon zest with the pepper at the end of the boil. I also used Wyeast 565 instead of 3711. It has been slowly fermenting after the normal rapid start. I did not do the temp increase after two weeks either, as I have no way to do it currently (we keep the house at 66F).

I just took a sample to test for gravity, and it was at 1.018 (1.062 start). It also tasted great. I am trying to decide whether to put it into the kegs (10 gal batch) today, or give it another two weeks to work down the gravity. My gut is to keg it now, but I would be interested to get some opinions on whether the gravity will get down to 1.012 or so, and if that will improve the beer.

I look forward to participating more on the forums, this site is fantastic.
The WLP565 will probably drop the gravity down to 1.005 or lower, so I wouldn't keg it yet as its not near done, it just likes warmer temps to work faster, but it should chew it down to single digits...

Thanks for the reply, I am going to give it some more time before kegging. That taste was excellent, I can't wait to get it on tap.

Let it go for a while, check the gravity, let it go another week, and recheck, until it is holding at the exact same reading you can keg it up.

Just keep In mind the yeast has slowed down drastically because of your current temp. So it could take a while, you might want to try a heating pad to try to get the temp up to help it ferment out

Is there a big difference in using regular 2 row instead of pilsner 2 row? I tried to read a lot of the thread, but couldn't find much info. This recipe is on my short list to be brewed.

2-Row Malt

From HomeBrewTalk Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search

Grain in the fields

The is the standard starting point for almost all beer recipes.
Smooth with a less grainy more moderate flavour.
Origin US
Yield 79.0 %
Potential 1.036
Color 2.0 SRM
Max in Batch 100.0 %
Moisture 4.0 %
Protein 12.3 %
Coarse Fine Difference 1.5 %
Diastatic Power 140.0 %
Recommend Mash TRUE
Notes Compare various malts with the Malts Chart

Pilsner Malt
This base malt is used primarily for Pilsner style beers.

[edit] Belgian 2-Row Origin Belgium
Yield 79.0 %
Potential 1.036
Color 2.0 SRM
Max in Batch 100.0 %
Moisture 4.0 %
Protein 10.5 %
Coarse Fine Difference 1.5 %
Diastatic Power 105.0 %
Recommend Mash TRUE
Notes Base malt for Continental lagers
Compare various malts with the Malts Chart

Base 2-row has a better diastatic power, and I dont exactly remember why, but pilsner malt may contribute DMS without extended boiling times (90mins instead of 60, IIRC it has to do with the lack of kilning/modifying which keeps DMS on the pilsner malt)

I actually used regualr 2 row in my brew rather than the Pilsner, I did not mention that in the last post. I have only used Pilsner malt in small amounts, and typically use American 2 row for my base malt for all my beers. My comment would be that using regular 2 row still gives an excellent tasting eer with this recipe.

I actually used regualr 2 row in my brew rather than the Pilsner, I did not mention that in the last post. I have only used Pilsner malt in small amounts, and typically use American 2 row for my base malt for all my beers. My comment would be that using regular 2 row still gives an excellent tasting eer with this recipe.

Yup, I done this myself, very slight flavor difference but its still fantastic..

azscoob said:
Yup, I done this myself, very slight flavor difference but its still fantastic..

Cool, that's what I was interested in. I've read some technical stuff about the differences, bit was more interested in flavor difference. If they both make a great beer, I may just go with plain two row.

This beer is improving a lot in the Bottle!

What's people's experience with this ? I still have half my batch bottled so good news!

After about 3 months now the flavours are really coming together, great honey sweetness and that Belgian yeast mmmm

I was looking forward to making this yesterday , but LHBS didn't have the 3711 yeast. Looks like ill be ordering online.

This beer is improving a lot in the Bottle!

What's people's experience with this ? I still have half my batch bottled so good news!

After about 3 months now the flavours are really coming together, great honey sweetness and that Belgian yeast mmmm

Ive had mine in the keg for about that same time frame and I agree. It gets better every time I pour one I swear. Took a growler of this to my companies xmas party along with a nut brown I made, and people went berserk over the Saison. I should have brought 3-4 growlers, but I want to keep as much for myself as humanly possible :D.

Just found this thread looking for a good Saison recipe to be my first. This is definitely going to be it. Sounds delish and just what I want from the style. Can't wait to brew it!

I love this recipe! I just brewed a big 10 gallon batch for a wedding next month! Also have adopted the base recipe for a fantastic black saison dry hopped with sorachi ace.

Garrett said:
I love this recipe! I just brewed a big 10 gallon batch for a wedding next month! Also have adopted the base recipe for a fantastic black saison dry hopped with sorachi ace.

That sounds fantastic! I inspired an offshoot recipe, that is damn cool.

I just brewed my second batch this afternoon. Managed to pick up some sorachi ace and wow is it ever fragrant!

Here is a pic from my first batch - bottled. I had made about 23 Litres: kegged most of it and bottled the rest. Keg lasted about 2 weeks! I served a bunch of it at my daughter's 4th birthday party and it was a hit!

image-3773598599.jpg

Used Belgian saison yeast instead of the 3711.

Cheers to all you saison brewers! And thanks so much to Azscoob for the recipe and tips! May your kegs never stay dry.

image-2994531668.jpg

atri said:
I just brewed my second batch this afternoon. Managed to pick up some sorachi ace and wow is it ever fragrant!

Here is a pic from my first batch - bottled. I had made about 23 Litres: kegged most of it and bottled the rest. Keg lasted about 2 weeks! I served a bunch of it at my daughter's 4th birthday party and it was a hit!

Cheers to all you saison brewers! And thanks so much to Azscoob for the recipe and tips! May your kegs never stay dry.

Ya I've heard those 4 year olds can really pack away the Saison!

View attachment 90986

View attachment 90989

Glad you love the recipe! And that's some tasty looking beer you have there!

Mines bubbling like crazy in the fermenter. I got a little crazy with this batch and added rose hips. Hopefully it turns out. They gave it a nice color anayway.

Making this the NEW YEAR'S brew, even got the wife in on this brew session since it's her favorite style. In true fashion of a noob assistant she's helping me clean and sanitize everything first.

Starters been chugging away, can't wait to dump it in this afternoon. I switched to EKG instead of fuggles but kept the sorachi as I haven't brewed with it before and can't wait to see what it brings to the table.

Here we go!

Making this the NEW YEAR'S brew, even got the wife in on this brew session since it's her favorite style. In true fashion of a noob assistant she's helping me clean and sanitize everything first.

Starters been chugging away, can't wait to dump it in this afternoon. I switched to EKG instead of fuggles but kept the sorachi as I haven't brewed with it before and can't wait to see what it brings to the table.

Here we go!

Hope your brew day turns out perfectly!

Glad your wife is helping out! Mine never helps and only drinks my hefe. And that is even a rare thing

Latest posts

Back