What would you do? Yeast pitching question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J187

Reaction score
I wanted to brew last night - 1.060 American Brown Ale. I didn't have time to make a starter for it, so I picked up a smackpack of 1056, knowing that I already had one in the fridge. I had planned on pitching two packs since I need about 200 billion cells. After I had cooled my wort, I went to the fridge and discovered that one of the packs had leaked out in the fridge, presumably there was a tiny hole from when I activated it. I had only one pack of 1056 to pitch into a 1.060 beer, so I did. I'm working today and won't be back to the beer until about 6:30 pm.

Should I:

1. Pickup a 1056 on the way home and pitch it even though the beer has already been fermenting for 19 hours by the time I do?

2. Leave it and hope the smack pack grows enough yeasties to do the job? One of my first times brewing, before I really knew about starters, I had pitched a 1056 pack into a 1.062 that hit final gravity perfectly and tasted great.

Also, is it common/normal practice to pitch two packets when one doesn't have time for a starter?

I wanted to brew last night - 1.060 American Brown Ale. I didn't have time to make a starter for it, so I picked up a smackpack of 1056, knowing that I already had one in the fridge. I had planned on pitching two packs since I need about 200 billion cells. After I had cooled my wort, I went to the fridge and discovered that one of the packs had leaked out in the fridge, presumably there was a tiny hole from when I activated it. I had only one pack of 1056 to pitch into a 1.060 beer, so I did. I'm working today and won't be back to the beer until about 6:30 pm.

Should I:

1. Pickup a 1056 on the way home and pitch it even though the beer has already been fermenting for 19 hours by the time I do?

2. Leave it and hope the smack pack grows enough yeasties to do the job? One of my first times brewing, before I really knew about starters, I had pitched a 1056 pack into a 1.062 that hit final gravity perfectly and tasted great.

Also, is it common/normal practice to pitch two packets when one doesn't have time for a starter?

Pitching two packs IMO is a waste of money. Have you ever look into washing yeast?

Anyway I wouldn't pick another up. I would just let it ride on this one, 1.060 isn't terribly high. Just next time remember that starter. If you oxygenated well those yeast will reproduce just fine. Although chances are it will be a little slower to ferment than if you had normal pitching rates.

This is my experience, YMMV.

A lot of brewers pitch 2 packs. A lot of brewers make a starter. A lot of brewers just toss the yeast in and don't worry about.

For a 60 point OG and a clean ale yeast like 1056, any of the 3 would work. If you were at a higher OG or using a yeast that produced all sorts of flavors when stressed, a proper pitch would be much more important.

Pitching two packs IMO is a waste of money. Have you ever look into washing yeast?

Anyway I wouldn't pick another up. I would just let it ride on this one, 1.060 isn't terribly high. Just next time remember that starter. If you oxygenated well those yeast will reproduce just fine. Although chances are it will be a little slower to ferment than if you had normal pitching rates.

This is my experience, YMMV.

Yea, I didn't forget my starter, I just didn't have time. I want to have options for when I decide to brew without 24+ hours notice. I figured pitching two packs was a viable option, but I ran into an unexpected issue - leaking package.

So you think I should just let it ride out and see if I hit my numbers? I anticipate having near perfect temps over this fermentation and I pitched my yeast at like 65 deg.

I see, you know with dry yeast you would only need one pack. But I see why you would want to take a shortcut for the extra cost.

And yeah, just let it ride out. It should do just fine, especially with good temps.

I see, you know with dry yeast you would only need one pack. But I see why you would want to take a shortcut for the extra cost.

And yeah, just let it ride out. It should do just fine, especially with good temps.

Thanks!

I think I'm leaning towards pitching another pack... I have to stop for StarSan anyway... I guess I'm slightly leaning toward pitching another pack to be sure.

If the fermentation has already started you are just waisting your money pitching another pack. The yeast would have already replicated to the number they need to ferment.

If the fermentation has already started you are just waisting your money pitching another pack. The yeast would have already replicated to the number they need to ferment.

My fear is that what I pitched will not actually reach the number I need.

IMHO, 1.060 is right on the edge of me deciding between 1 and 2 packs. I'm with the majority here. If it's bubbling away, I wouldn't waste the 2nd pack as it will probably be just fine. If it was much higher than that though, I would definitely think about re-pitching. But I wouldn't worry this time. RDWHAHB

Back